Sick Hen

Pics
Hello all! So Miss Chicky went back outside this morning after a quick bubble bath and blow dry She and her flock acted as if she never left, they free ranged all day and then around roosting time guess who was at the front door!? That's right! Miss Chicky! So we brought her back in to the bathroom where she has been healing and when I went to check on her there was poo on the floor that was bright red blood?! Any ideas of what this could be? Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3547.JPG
    IMG_3547.JPG
    972.7 KB · Views: 2
Could she have that at 2.5 years of age? She is acting completely normal now.. free ranging and her comb is back to normal, standing tall. She is extremely smart though ! As soon as the other girls go to roost in the coop she comes and taps on the kitchen window to let her back into her bathroom:) smart little girl!!

It's not as common at that age, unless you have brought new birds in recently.
Blood in the poop is NOT normal though.
Have you ever wormed your flock?

I did just get a new flock of babies, however they are not cooped with the adults . They have their own coop and they do not free range together yet.... Yes I give them diatamecious earth in their fed every so often to prevent worms .

You handling the chicks then handling the older ones could have introduced the older ones vic versa with a "new" strain of Cocci. You may want to treat all with Corid.
DE has been proven to not prevent or get rid of intestinal worms.
You should probably take some fresh poop into the nearest vet for a fecal test asap.

This sounds mean. See how she goes for a day or two, then maybe, if she doesn't seem to get better, dare I say the word "cull", or "end her misery". Personally, I prefer not to spend lots of money on one sick chicken. But I can't exactly leave it can I. :(:hit

Thank you everyone for your advice! Miss Chicky is so much better tonight no more blood in her poo! I think it's a great idea to treat for Cocci. Would I hold use of eggs after treatment? And if so for how long? As far as ending her misery.. she has gone from an ill little chicken who could barley hold her head up to a happy singing free ranging ball of happiness!! She is not acting ill at all anymore! Yes the bloody poo was worrisome but she has been completely fine today with completely normal poos! Smart enough to want to come in at dusk to the air conditioning and singing her sweet song of victory when we consented and brought her back in!! To each their own but in my house we go down fighting for these sweet babies! I do however see both sides so no hard feelings❤️

If you treated for Cocci with Corid or something similar there is no egg withdrawal.
It is not a medicine.

Back
Top Bottom