Sick hen?

The chicken nurd

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
I noticed one of my hens is acting weird. Do you guys have any thoughts
Her poop looks odd ill post a picture in the morning
she's straining and squatting like she’s trying to poop but can’t and when I picked her up to check it looked like she had something fleshy come out of her vent, but it went back in when she stopped straining; Otherwise, she’s acting normal, but I don’t know whether she’s laid or not recently
I'm thinking maybe prolapsed vent, but I’m not sure, what do you guys think and any ideas on treatment because I’ve never dealt with this before
Thanks in advance
- the chicken nerd

It sounds like she possibly has a larger lash egg (fleshy material from salpingitis) that is difficult to pass. I would get some human calcium citrate with vitamin d3–about 600mg and pop it into her beak to swallow. Tums or other calcium will do, but the calcium citrate is more quickly absorbed.

Is she able to poop? Can you get her drinking some water? I would observe her closely to see if she passes the mass. If she does you can cut it open to take a picture of the contents. This article has pictures of lash eggs:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpi...ash eggs result from an,waxy, cheese-like pus.

Back
Top Bottom