Sick Hen

I believe you are correct. I just never even heard of it. I have enough cephalexin to last 4-5 days at around 100mg twice a day. It's the type of antibiotic class they recommend for it.

She's had ivermectin. No worms (and float test). Doubt mites since she hasn't been scratching and no one else in the flock is.

Could be coccidiosis possibly but with her passing these, it seems to be the best fit. None of them have ever been on antibiotics before so at this point it can't hurt anything.

Thank you for teaching me something new and let's hope ole Bertha pulls through. She was one of the originals and have always been fond of her since she was a chick chasing grasshoppers around my feet. She was one of the smallest but she pecked her way up to the top and still so even when she doesn't feel good.

@Eggcessive , that is lash material in the photos two posts up, right? I just want to make sure I am correct before I send them off to try to treat it.
Yes, that does look like lash egg material from salpingitis. Antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and Baytril are sometimes prescribed for salpingitis, and can be used in case they help. But some links say that antibiotics may be too late if the lash material (caseous exudate or pus) is present in the oviduct. Here is a link about that with pictures:
https://extension.psu.edu/salpingitis-salpingoperitonitis

Yes, that does look like lash egg material from salpingitis. Antibiotics, such as amoxicillin and Baytril are sometimes prescribed for salpingitis, and can be used in case they help. But some links say that antibiotics may be too late if the lash material (caseous exudate or pus) is present in the oviduct. Here is a link about that with pictures:
https://extension.psu.edu/salpingitis-salpingoperitonitis
Yeah, most of the posts I saw said that antibiotics mostly just prolong life. I guess it is still worth a try.

I read that it can be treated if the lash egg (s) is still very soft and these were very soft to the point it was hard to get a clean slice. They weren't huge either, just a little bigger than a peanut. No core inside either just mush. I'm hopeful but cautious. 2nd round of antibiotics incoming soon.

I read that it can be treated if the lash egg (s) is still very soft and these were very soft to the point it was hard to get a clean slice. They weren't huge either, just a little bigger than a peanut. No core inside either just mush. I'm hopeful but cautious. 2nd round of antibiotics incoming soon.
Yes, I will pray for the best. I have heard success stories where the hen lives for a long time with it, so you definitely have to try. If vet care is an option, and the chicken is very dear to you, that may be worth checking out as well.

So sorry that you are going through this.

It may or may not help, once there is lash material present. We never know what the inside of the abdomen looks like until they die, when a necropsy is done. Antibiotics do require an egg withdrawal time of a few weeks after treatment, depending on the one you use. Some are not approved for chickens. Salpingitis is eventually fatal. Let us know how she gets along.

Do you think it would hurt to put some corid in her water with the antibiotics (cephalexin) just to cross everything off? I know coccidiosis is typically young birds but want to do all I can.

She's getting her third round of antibiotics tonight. Have taken her outside in the morning and evening (another 100+ degree day) and she ate a small cherry tomato from the garden and walked around more then she has. Comb is still pale but I know it can take a few days for the antibiotics. She's not eating egg anymore really but has been eating the tomatoes and foraging in the grass and weeds.

Part of me says not to put corid in the water but she has those same symptoms. Not sure if it could be lash egg AND coccidiosis though.

Thanks!

EDIT: antibiotics are not being put in the water. We are mixing and putting down her throat with a dropper. Just wanted to clarify.

I’m in Georgia as well. Heat index was 108 today. I put mine on Corid two days ago, even though I was not sure it is coccidiosis. I did see a small amount of blood in her poop. I had to give the sickest one the Corid with a syringe because she stopped drinking and eating. She declined fast with symptoms like you are describing except she stopped laying completely. I had already lost four girls before I went very aggressive with treatment for my last sick one Yesterday, I alternated between a 12 ml syringe of Corid water (1.5 tsp Corid soluble powder per gallon of water), then 12 ml of sugar water (2 tsp per cup of water) every two hours. The sugar water gave her electrolytes and carbs for strength. Corid was for the possible coccidiosis. She started drinking on her own this morning. I gave her another syringe of surgar water mid morning and she started moving around more. This afternoon, she started eating. Tonight she is doing so much better.

When I say syringe, I mean one that holds a lot of liquid. Attached is a picture of the syringe I use. I got it from a dentist and it holds a lot of liquid. These are available on Amazon as dental syringes and hold 12 cc (12 ml) of liquid. When you give that much, you can feel it in the crop.

My girl was obviously dehydrated. She was even opening her beak on her own like she was asking for water. Her comb was pale and laying flat. This evening, it is back to red and standing up more.

Good luck. Maybe we can figure out what is going on down here. Message me if you have questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0175.jpeg
    IMG_0175.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom