SICK/HURT Chicken

Ejk33

Hatching
Jan 13, 2017
This afternoon I checked on our chicken and she had a minor cut on her neck and seemed a little unnormal. She is a Rhode island red and seems to be a little odd. However she seems to be a little better, I gave her some sugar water, and a warm bath. I am just curious as to what may have happened so I can prevent it in the future

Welcome to BYC!

I would spray some Vetricyn or put neosporin on it.Im guessing the cut is big if so you will probably want to separate her so the others dont peck at it.If its small just spray some blu kote on it and she will be fine.How big is the cut?She could've scratch it on something.

welcome-byc.gif

MasterOfClucker the cut isn't too big, stopped bleeding after about ten minutes, I brought her in from the warm coop and other chickens... I will try some blu kote. She still seems a little unresponsive. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
Maybe a little shocked?Could've been a predator of some sort but failed.I would keep her in for the night.If she was attacked by a predator she needs to calm down for a bit.

No problem,Glad you joined
smile.png

Last edited:
Hi and welcome.

Do you have a cockerel/rooster? Neck injuries and scalping are quite commonly caused by adolescent mating....inexperience and overly rampant hormones on the part of the young male and unwillingness to cooperate/immaturity or just plain terror on the part of the pullet/hen.
Just another possibility to consider for the cause in case it isn't a predator. Putting her back in with him before she heals fully could rip it open again even if you predator proof your run, so just thought I would mention it.
Young males are best kept separate for 6 months until that first flush of hormones is over and they can control themselves better, in my opinion.

I don't have any roosters, the chicken looks like she was pecked by the other hens... She is fine now and finally starting to get along with the other chickens. Thanks though

Pecking issues and injuries are common at this time of year as chickens are more confined due to the weather and become bored and frustrated. I have yet another bloody leghorn today. My birds are used to complete free range every day but have had to be locked up to prevent the spread of bird flue for the past 6 weeks and another more 6 to go. I'm tearing my hair out trying to keep them all happy. Most of them are coping reasonably well but not the leghorns and I have one after the next in sick bay! I have just purchased a poly tunnel for them which will hopefully ease the situation as soon as I am able to get it erected and strapped down.

Pleased to hear your girl is improved and back with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom