Sick new baby chick

ericalynne2005

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
So after 48 hours in the mail I got my new day old baby chicks yesterday morning! Out of 15 I have one that wont eat and can barley stand up. Any advice or ideas? I've tried feeding her out of a baby dropper and she wont take the food.

It sounds like there could be some stress from shipping. I would get Save A Chick electrolytes, or make some electrolytes, or put some sugar in their water. Pedialyte or Gatorade will work, and Poultry Nutri-Drench is also a product that can be used. the weak one needs to have it's beak dipped into the water for a second, and then let it swallow. Do this over and over, several times an hour all day long. It may be too late, but sometimes you can save one this way. Make sure your heat lamp is heating to 90 degrees with a thermometer directly under it, but make sure there is a cooler area they can get to as well.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Back
Top Bottom