Sick one day, good the next, sick chick :(

Jacquieandpets

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Help!
I recently bought a 4 week old chick.
He is sick, but was recovering.
He had an issue in which his beak had mucus, but he was not sneezing or wheezing.
He was constantly falling asleep and being lethargic. He had swollen eyes and watery mucus poop.
I started giving him vitamin and treating him with corrid.
I also was feeding him egg and cottage cheese.
He was starting to run around and following me everywhere! eat everything and be happy.
he no longer had mucus in his nose and was pooping fine. his eyes are not swollen anymore.

I did that for a week, but didn't do it for 2 days.
now he has mucus coming from his mouth, one beak nostril is red and he is back to being lethargic, his poop is yellow and he keeps scratching himself.

Any advice?

I really love this chick.
Thank you.

Sorry about your chick, but he sounds like he is pretty sick with a respiratory disease such as MG or coryza. Coccidiosis can make them weak and have decreased immunity, and it's too bad that he is getting worse again after the Corid. You may want to give him some antibiotics such as Tylan 50 given orally 1/4 ml twice a day for 5 days. I would also make sure that he gets some probiotics and vitamins. You can give a little buttermilk or plain yogurt for probiotics, but Rooster Booster makes a Vitamin With Lactobacillus that you can put in the water easily. It sounds as though he may have come to you after being exposed to a carrier of a respiratory disease.

Thank you so much for the advice!
I have been working on the chick all week and he is finally better!
I gave him a pretty odd recipe.
:yiipchick
Supplies:
- 1 shallow long plastic container
- 2 small eggs (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (Finley chopped)
-1 spoon full of olive oil
- a pinch cyan pepper
- 1 organic women's multivitamin (1/2 teaspoon )
- 1 amoxicillin pill (used 1/4)
- enough water to cover eggs

Instructions:
- gently mix them together

Did this for a week! Did wonders.

Back
Top Bottom