Sick or broody?!

Pebimo

Hatching
Apr 2, 2022
20220402_175241.jpg

So this is my young dove Rika, he's a boy. And recently he's been acting extremly odd, he keeps sitting in his nesting bowl I have for him and his mate. Which I have not seen breed yet at all. But he seems to also not be eating very properly, so I am really worried about him. Whenever I go to pick him up he curls his toes. But when I thought, well maybe he's broody? I gave him one of my quail eggs and he immediately started to adjust on it and at the moment he's sitting on it and calling. I'm still really worried but I gave him some medicine so I hope everything is okay. :<

If anyone has any questions or answers for what might be happening, please feel free to respond!!

View attachment 3047617
So this is my young dove Rika, he's a boy. And recently he's been acting extremly odd, he keeps sitting in his nesting bowl I have for him and his mate. Which I have not seen breed yet at all. But he seems to also not be eating very properly, so I am really worried about him. Whenever I go to pick him up he curls his toes. But when I thought, well maybe he's broody? I gave him one of my quail eggs and he immediately started to adjust on it and at the moment he's sitting on it and calling. I'm still really worried but I gave him some medicine so I hope everything is okay. :<

If anyone has any questions or answers for what might be happening, please feel free to respond!!
The reproductive urge is strong in doves, but the picture and your word make me think sick. In this picture he does not look good. Could you post another picture? He is a beautiful dove. Normally, a male dove would sit in the nest container and coo/moan with his wings flipping to get his mate to join him. If this is not what your seeing... he is likely ill. How is his breathing? Any diarrhea? Other symptoms?

He does seem pretty normal, but just keeps going to the bowl. If I take it out he'll perch like normal, and leaves the bowl to take a break every so often. But other than that he is breathing fine and eats while in the bowl. His stool looks normal as far as I can tell so far, not runny or anything. But I will share more pictures after work.

He does seem pretty normal, but just keeps going to the bowl. If I take it out he'll perch like normal, and leaves the bowl to take a break every so often. But other than that he is breathing fine and eats while in the bowl. His stool looks normal as far as I can tell so far, not runny or anything. But I will share more pictures after work.
Does he sit there cooing and flipping his wings. If so, normal behavior showing he wants to nest and is trying to get the female in the mode.

Does he sit there cooing and flipping his wings. If so, normal behavior showing he wants to nest and is trying to get the female in the mode.
He used to but then he eventually took to sitting on the nest and only occasionally cooing, not 100% dissimilar to my Pouter pigeon male who does the same. But it's diffrent. You can just feel it. When I remove him from his nesting post, he will preen himself and his female companion will go to look in the nest and go back to joining him.

Here are some pics of him and one with the hen, his back is kinda ruffled in the first one because I moved him with the chicks to help fatten him up and heal him.

Attachments

• 20220403_145448.jpg
    20220403_145448.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220403_145522.jpg
    20220403_145522.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220403_150057.jpg
    20220403_150057.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 3
Update on the sitch,
Hen is now also setting the quail egg I have given Rika. Tomo was just calling in the nest but now she is just setting on it and turning it. Rika is calling and sunning himself in the heat light, he seems very happy that tomo has accepted this adopted egg.

Attachments

• 20220403_151734.jpg
    20220403_151734.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220403_152054.jpg
    20220403_152054.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 1
Hope everything works out for you.
It actually has very well! I moved him back alone with his partner and they are acting as normal again. A guess a week with special care helped, he was just acting a little off. But he and his mate are back up and calling and happy! :)

Back
Top Bottom