Sick or neurological?! Duckling in trouble [video]

Ryinn

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2017
Presumed female duckling, Pekin, about 1 month old. Extremely unbalanced like she has vertigo, very weak legs. Video is her "walking," at least the best she's able. Mostly stumbles a few steps at a time. Frequently shakes, especially after getting wet and likely cold. She constantly pushes backwards and sticks her legs straight out until she tumbles backwards, like she can't stop herself. Her paired mate is healthy. She generally seems very conscious and alert but her body betrays her. She's frequently found on her back. So far i have:

Given 7 days of antibiotics in water, amox.
Used nutridrench.
Currently using 3 tabs in 3 gallon watered of Life-Lytes, which has some niacin.
Physical therapy via swimming, supervised time outside their coop.

Please help. I can't stand watching her suffer, but she clearly wants to live. Still tries to eat and drink.
**Please note she's very dirty from repeatedly falling over in the yard before this video. This isn't standard, she's clean and dry now.

Video:

Attachments

• 20170608_173852.jpg
    20170608_173852.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Presumed female duckling, Pekin, about 1 month old. Extremely unbalanced like she has vertigo, very weak legs. Video is her "walking," at least the best she's able. Mostly stumbles a few steps at a time. Frequently shakes, especially after getting wet and likely cold. She constantly pushes backwards and sticks her legs straight out until she tumbles backwards, like she can't stop herself. Her paired mate is healthy. She generally seems very conscious and alert but her body betrays her. She's frequently found on her back. So far i have:

Given 7 days of antibiotics in water, amox.
Used nutridrench.
Currently using 3 tabs in 3 gallon watered of Life-Lytes, which has some niacin.
Physical therapy via swimming, supervised time outside their coop.

Please help. I can't stand watching her suffer, but she clearly wants to live. Still tries to eat and drink.
**Please note she's very dirty from repeatedly falling over in the yard before this video. This isn't standard, she's clean and dry now.

Video:
@WVduckchick , @Miss Lydia , @Ravynscroft , @Debs Flock let's see if someone knowledgeable is online to have a look. :D.
and ..:welcome

What are you feeding the duckling?

It's unlikely that the Life-Lytes stuff has enough Niacin. Also, how warm is it where you are? They usually need a heat source, at least at night, until they're feathered.

What was the dosage of the amox and when was that given? When was the video taken?

I'm going to tag a couple more people.
@Pyxis
@Amiga

Yes, the video is definitely helpful. Just need more info and more people. I know enough to ask the needed questions, but don't always know enough to figure out what's wrong. I'm still learning. :)
Thanks, the OP seems to have started some of the basics??

Edit: didn't see you had already responded...:oops: before my prev post?

What are you feeding the duckling?

It's unlikely that the Life-Lytes stuff has enough Niacin. Also, how warm is it where you are? They usually need a heat source, at least at night, until they're feathered.

What was the dosage of the amox and when was that given? When was the video taken?

I'm going to tag a couple more people.
@Pyxis
@Amiga

Both Pekins are on Blue Seal Multi-flock starter/grower crumbles (I have 14 Golden 300s that started on the same feed, all are doing well in comparison)
Amox dose was one 500mg capsule, dumped into 3 gallons of water - may have been too diluted or simply not the right antibiotic if this is bacterial? Given 5/31 - 6/6
They have a heat bulb in an enclosed area (plastic dropped over the coop windows to block wind) with enough space to get to cooler areas if it's too hot.
Video recorded 10 minutes before posting.
Illness has been ongoing for two-ish weeks.

Back
Top Bottom