Sick or normal? cough

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wantbantams, Nov 24, 2012.

1. wantbantams

wantbantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2012
    I have a LB with a cough. She has had the cough for 2 weeks. She has no symptoms other than the cough. She has no drainage from her nose, no smells from her face, her poops are normal, no swelling in face. Just a cough. She is very young and is living inside right now. I put her on Sulmet (recommended on this site) and nothing has changed. I checked her throat today and I noticed that there were some small nodules in the back of her throat. They were white and I saw one that was a greenish color. Any advice on these. If I had those in my throat I think I would be coughing too. I need to know what to do with her because I really do not need another indoor chicken and we do not put to have to put her down. Please help. Any advice would be good. I am going to try to get a recording of the cough to post on her. Could this be related to the cold dry air?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It could be something lodged in those spots irritating her throat or some sort of virus or infection. Try putting her on an antibiotic like penicillin to see if anything changes.

3. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    She tends to cough the most when she is eating and drinking. I am not able to attach a sound byte of her coughing, but I have one recorded. She does this pretty regularly. If someone wants to hear it, I can try to e-mail you the sound.

4. wantbantams

Apr 14, 2012
    Will the vet just give me penicillin or will I need to find a chicken vet?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can buy penG from most feed stores as a liquid injectable.....if you have penicillin for people, they even have pills for fish...... You can use. 250 mg pill for standard breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by