Sick Peking duckling!

Duckmom265

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
I don't know what is wrong with my poor baby. I've been feeding duck crumbles, b complex in the water as well as nutridrench. They get smashed peas once a day and mealworm/fly larva every day as well as romaine and or kale. She seems to have a lump on her neck and has trouble holding her head up. Need advice on what to do!

Attachments

• 15975989639158548789063800921282.jpg
    15975989639158548789063800921282.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 27
@Miss Lydia any recommendations? It makes me so sad to see her like this.
Are you also offering chick grit? The only time they don’t need grit is when eating crumbles. All other food they need chick grit so they can grind up their roughage. Stop feeing anything other than their crumbles for now. And make their feed like warm soup so it’s easier to get down. Is she eating an drinking? Get chick grit put in a container close to feed but no in it. They know instinctively to use it as needed. As for the impacted food if this is her problem I am not sure what to do but I’ll tag @Isaac 0 maybe he’s had experience with this .

Last edited:
We purchased 2 pekin ducklings this year from TSC and one has been sick since day 1. He had a "lump" on his neck as well which actually was just his muscle, because for a while he was keeping his head tucked into his shoulders (I'm assuming wry neck happened here). After giving a slew of remedies (tumeric, molasses, the whole works) his muscles loosened up and then he couldn't lift it at all, laid with it on the ground, etc. We switched to dropping him poly-vi-sol which helped him out a lot, along with doing some ducky physical therapy for a few weeks. Now, almost 5 months later, his neck is fine (though he's still kind of a messed up duck).

Attachments

• 20200514_112151.jpg
    20200514_112151.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 10
Sorry, I don't think Miss Lydia's tag worked for me.

From the video, it definitely looks like she is having a hard time supporting her neck, that could be caused by a few reasons, but what we tend to see with birds around that age is a nutritional deficiency, often either in thiamine (b1) or vitamin E. I see that your giving her B vitamin and poultry nutri drench in her water, but I would personally suggest against that since the taste can be unpalatable and they're water intake might decrease. Instead try mixing some B complex, and one capsule of human 400iu soft gel into some mashed scrambled eggs, and see if she'll take to that. Provide clean water.

The lump is on the side of her neck, correct? How does it feel, like a bean bag, hard, or like air? Does it go away in the morning?

How big is their pen area, what is the temperature? What are you feeding them?

Back
Top Bottom