sick pig

So sorry.
hugs.gif

Quote:
Pigs CAN eat meat. In the wild they eat a LOT of meat. Mine eat meat frequently.(any leftovers i have)
I agree with you about them NEEDING shade and a place to cool down though!
They dont need a MUD hole though. I have a kiddie pool that they can cool off in.
The mud DOES help them NOT get sunburned though!!!!

I always worry about my pigs bloating.... i'll have to look up more info on that! Cause the other day my pigs ate TON of weeds from my garden and their bellies were VERY tight and swollen and i was worried. But they were okay....
I'll have to call my vet ask ask about the bloating! Thanks!

Could have been pneumonia. When the weather has crazy swings it can happen. In my experience they don't eat one day and are dead the next if they have been stressed recently. If they haven't it can last a few days. I'ld recommend calling a vet the day you notice them not eating and getting some Draxin. Its a very strong antibiotic and works with only one injection. You can also take their temperature and listen to their lungs.

Quote:
If Porkchop had access to the a lot of other animal feed it could have created an issue. Like chickens, pigs are omnivores, so meat is a natural part of their diet. Rancid feed is best put in the refuse bin. Pigs really should be housed separately from other animals. They need shade and a means to cool off, like a pool of water...mud will attract them as a means to try to keep cool. Perhaps it was the heat, unless there was an issue that started at the rescue before you received it. How old was the pig, and could it have been pestered by the goats/sheep. Not unheard of, if so. I'd want to get to the bottom of it.

Last edited:
Spoiled meat is not a part of a pigs natural diet!! OP said that they thought the pig ate bad meat. Yes chickens too will eat anything you put in front of them but this also does not mean you should go and feed your chickens pork,beef or chicken....

It doesn't sound like it was the meat at all. Spoiled meat shouldn't be enough to kill a pig that quickly. She probably caught something from the rescue, or ate a plant like you mentioned. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Also sounds like you need to find a new vet! That's no good that they didn't have some sort of emergency answering service for you to call!

Quote:
Actually, quite often, yes it is. Pigs are often scavengers in the wild and will eat just about anything they come across, including a rotting carcass. Believe me, I know!
sickbyc.gif

Back
Top Bottom