sick roo

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
My white rock roosters eye is swollen and it looks like it has bubbles on his eye what is wrong with him? we washed it out the other day with some cool water but now he has the bubbles is it some kind of infection? If so what kind of antibotics should I give him and how do I treat it to make him better.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Any that can be mixed in water?
I like to use L.A. 200 injectable for mine.... It sounds like an infection...
I use baby wipes to clean their eyelids and them apply ointment also. good luck..

thanks I have some of that should I flush his eye out first with eyedrops? to me he looks like he has something in it and that is what has caused the bubble on his eye

Is the eye swollen? Does he have any other symptoms: wheezing, runny nose? Giving antibiotics before you know what's wrong is unlikely to help. Frothy eyes are often a sign of CRD, which may or may not produce other symptoms. The treatment for CRD is tylosin or gallimycin.
Terramycin ocular ointment may help, but it may merely obscure the symptom. If the eye is swollen, you may try pressing on it to see if anything comes out, mostly cheesy mess and possibly a hard body. Follow that by flushing the eye with saline.

no other symptoms just one of his eyes is like that his right eye. no snots no wheezing or anything he has lost some feathers on his neck but that is it (moult) I think because they are coming back in now. and the hens are moulting also. just one eye swollen with what looks like bubbles on it no oozing or anything. to be honest it looks like he has been pecked or got something in his eye or maybe poked it on something. there is also a lot of dust in the pen.

dont use regular water to flush the eye out... use sterile saline (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp of salt in a quart of water for five minutes...be sure to make fresh daily)
A dusty environment is very hard on a bird... up the humidity by hanging a wet towel in there or misting occasionally

Last edited:
he used distilled water but his eye is 100% better now he was going to use visine but I wouldn't let him

Back
Top Bottom