sick rooster

ranaldifamilyfa

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
So we got a new rooster from our feed store and when i brought him home he immediately became withdrawn and quiet. He still ate and drank but had discharge on his beak and nose and sounded gurgley when he breathed. He stopped crowing completely. I wiped his face off each day and gave him fresh food and water and for a few days I thought for sure he was going to die bc he could barely hold his head up. Then a few days later he started crowing again. Now he still had a slight gurgle noise and when he crows it sounds like he's lost his voice.

My feed store says none of their chickens are sick so they have no idea what could be wrong . He is still eating and drinking but I'd like to get him feeling better so I can put him with my ladies finally. Is there a vitamin or supplement I could give him??

He could have a viral, bacterial, or fungal respiratory disease. Infectious bronchitis, MG, ILT, and coryza are the common respiratory diseases. Aspergillosis comes from mold spores in the environment, but it is not supposed to cause noise such as rattles when breathing. You really need to keep him separated from any other chickens you have, and most of the diseases make chickens carriers for life (IB for a year.) If I were going to treat him, I would give him Tylan 50 injections or give it to him orally--1 ml daily for 3-5 day. Oxytetracycline or Gallimycin is preferable to Duramycin10 if you want to treat him in his drinking water. I would get him tested by your local agriculture official to find out what he has. It's a shame they are selling sick chickens at your feed store. Here is a link to read about the above diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you both for your replies. Yes he has been quarantined from the beginning.it was a few days maybe a week. At first he got real quiet and I thought he was just sad until I noticed the discharge around his nose.

Here is a picture I took today when we gave him some vitamin/electrolyte powder we picked up from the store. He is eating and drinking just fine despite this strange set back.

We washed his nose and eye off. It was strange he had bubbles in that eye. Just the left eye. The right eye was fine. I have just never had something affect a roosters crow before...but at least he's actually crowing now. Despite the photo he seems to be feeling much better than a week ago when he'd barely hold his head up. Poor guy. I just don't have a "chicken vet" so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for the info I will look into it further.

And for the record I didn't "buy" him lol I saved him from being eaten. Our feed store gets roosters dropped off or they keep the roosters from the chick sets they get in and the workers will take them home and eat them I mentioned to the loading guy we lost our rooster to coyote a little while ago so he said I could pick one of theirs. He was healthy and happy looking when we grabbed him...along with all their other birds. Our coop is old and has lots of cob webs but is as clean as it will ever get but maybe it's something he contracted from his pen?

Aw bless him
Mine have had a respiratory infection and were similar bubbly eyes, gruff voice lathargic
He needs antibiotics I got tylan.
They recovered really quickly

Last edited:
Pinkaboo....can I order that from feed store or do I need it from a vet? Thank you gives me hope. He's a good sweet rooster.

Aw bless him
Mine have had a respiratory infection and were similar bubbly eyes, gruff voice lathargic
He needs antibiotics I got tylan.
They recovered really quickly

Does he smell bad around his head? The foam in the eye and nasal secretions could be MG or coryza. The scabs he has on the comb and around the eye look a bit like fowl pox, or are they something else? Take a flashlight and look inside his throat for any odd yellow patches that could be wet fowl pox. I would give him the Tylan 50 either by shot or orally. Here is a link about fowl pox just in case: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

Back
Top Bottom