Sick rouen female

Ky-Girl

Chirping
Mar 24, 2015
I need some help please. I have a 2.5 yr old rouen female and for a year now we have been trying to diagnose her problem. We do not have a waterfowl vet around here, however, we do have an avian vet and he has looked at her but to avail. The problem at hand is that she is laying soft shelled eggs and has been for 3 months now. normally I get and dispose of them. But the past 3 days now she has been laying and busting them and eating the yellow. My concern is this yesterday she had yellow poop and i know that is dangerous and of course that is part of the original problem. But is it possible that the poop is yellow from eating the egg raw? Here is a picture of it
Now back to original problem We weren't sure if it was metritis or eyp but we got her all cleaned out and looking good. She stays in the house with us and has her own room. Her room is dark from 7pm to 7am. She wears a diaper while in the house and when we forge of course shes free. She is on Nutrena layer food and has eggshells and oyster shells. And eats romaine lettuce and is on acv twice a week. Please if anyone has any advise I would greatly like to know.
thanks

Do you have her on extra calcium? Our vet prescribed neocalglucan. That worked pretty well. I have also used calcium citrate tablets. I'll crush one and put 100 to 200 mg on treats for the duck who needs extra, and do that for a few days, then an extra 50 to 80 mg for another week or two.

If several start laying thin-shelled or no-shell eggs, I'll add 50 to 80 mg per duck per day to their food.

Does she get a little bit of grit? Sometimes not enough grit can make for runny stool. Does she have food with water 24/7?

Oh thank you Amiga we are not doing so well. After eight hours of grunting she pushed this out

I think it is a lash egg but not totally sure. To answer your questions Yes we make food with clean water available 24/7 and she also has crushed eggshells and oyster shells along with nutrena layer food then she also gets to play in mud hole everyday for a few hours.(grit) I was thinking that the first picture might be yellow from internal laying? What do you think? we have been weighing her 3 times a day and her weight has been 4.11oz to 4.14oz What am I going to do if its a lash egg?
Please let me know what you think.
Jody

I have to get to a vet now, myself. I would keep her in a dak place with fresh water and food. I would give her 200 to 400 mg of calcium in some treats and let her float in a tub of lukewarm water. A vet is needed, I know we cannot always do that. Ducks are resilient I would not give up yet. Also put a half teaspoon of turmeric in her treats. Anti inflammatory.

Okay Amiga. We do not have a waterfowl vet anywhere around here. But we do have an avian vet but like I said no waterfowl experience. So hes afraid to do a lot of things. When i cut open the thing, i guess u could call it, there was no smell however she has passed another real small one. I mean it was the size of a pea. Just changed her diaper and there is another one I am not kidding there is no smell at all. Here is the latest pic

I am pulling my hair out here I dont know what to do she is drinking a little but not much of an appetite. I even went out and got her some worms. She refused them. I can tell you she is molting for the second time in her life. I mean the feathers are everywhere. Could this be related. Well guess what? shes eating right now. Thank you God.

Okay Amiga. We do not have a waterfowl vet anywhere around here. But we do have an avian vet but like I said no waterfowl experience. So hes afraid to do a lot of things. When i cut open the thing, i guess u could call it, there was no smell however she has passed another real small one. I mean it was the size of a pea. Just changed her diaper and there is another one I am not kidding there is no smell at all. Here is the latest pic

I am pulling my hair out here I dont know what to do she is drinking a little but not much of an appetite. I even went out and got her some worms. She refused them. I can tell you she is molting for the second time in her life. I mean the feathers are everywhere. Could this be related. Well guess what? shes eating right now. Thank you God.
I am not Amiga, but I have dealt with this before. Take her to the avian vet and ask him about possible treating her for an repro tract infection. If she were mine I would start her on something like Baytril and possibly Metacam.

-Kathy

I am leaning in that direction as well - something's going on in the reproductive tract . . . wondering if it could be some kind of yeast infection instead of bacterial. Kathy, have you seen yeast look like this?

Also, I would ask for a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, like Metacam. If the reproductive tract is irritated, and that's likely, I feel, then reducing inflammation may make it much easier for her to pass whatever's gumming it up.

Last edited:
I am leaning in that direction as well - something's going on in the reproductive tract . . . wondering if it could be some kind of yeast infection instead of bacterial.  Kathy, have you seen yeast look like this?

Also, I would ask for a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, like Metacam.  If the reproductive tract is irritated, and that's likely, I feel, then reducing inflammation may make it much easier for her to pass whatever's gumming it up.

I'm afraid it looks bacterial.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/12/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard.html

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom