Sick Sebastapol?

Dalluge56

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 2, 2017
Hi, I have 5 colored Sebastopol geese and I noticed today 4 out of the 5 look like they have pale legs and feet, while the 5th ones are orange. I have been noticing reddish/brown dropping as well but not sure if the two are related. Would love some other thoughts and wisdom! Thanks!

Hi. did you take any pictures that you can post here? may be helpful
I ran out and took these. Hard to get a good picture of their legs/feet. But here are some along with some of their droppings.

Attachments

• IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5740.JPG
    IMG_5740.JPG
    922.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5739.JPG
    IMG_5739.JPG
    647.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5735.JPG
    IMG_5735.JPG
    486.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5733.JPG
    IMG_5733.JPG
    707 KB · Views: 6
Those droppings kinda look old and dry, did you see them come out of the bird or did you find them?

What feed are they on?

Has any of their appetites changed?

Have you seen them eating more dirt than usual?

Pinkish feet and legs isn’t always a concern unless they were previously orange. Some geese are naturally pale but if they start losing their color that is usually a sign of anemia.

Common causes of anemia could be diet related or due to an infection or parasites

Those droppings kinda look old and dry, did you see them come out of the bird or did you find them?

What feed are they on?

Has any of their appetites changed?

Have you seen them eating more dirt than usual?

Pinkish feet and legs isn’t always a concern unless they were previously orange. Some geese are naturally pale but if they start losing their color that is usually a sign of anemia.

Common causes of anemia could be diet related or due to an infection or parasites
Hi, thank you for your response. The dropping are old but they come out looking that color because I have seen them fresh.

I have them on Scratch & Peck Feeds Chicken and Duck Feed, 16%, Soy and Corn Free, Organic. But open to other suggestions if you don't think this is sufficient.

I haven't noticed any loss of appetite or eating more dirt than normal. Seem to consume grass and feed regularly.

I was considering doing a 5 day dose of Corid, just in case it was cocci but I really didn't want to, if it wasn't necessary. But I don't have a vet nearby that will do a fecal on a goose. I also haven't noticed any worms in their droppings either but not sure that I would.

Hi, thank you for your response. The dropping are old but they come out looking that color because I have seen them fresh.

I have them on Scratch & Peck Feeds Chicken and Duck Feed, 16%, Soy and Corn Free, Organic. But open to other suggestions if you don't think this is sufficient.

I haven't noticed any loss of appetite or eating more dirt than normal. Seem to consume grass and feed regularly.

I was considering doing a 5 day dose of Corid, just in case it was cocci but I really didn't want to, if it wasn't necessary. But I don't have a vet nearby that will do a fecal on a goose. I also haven't noticed any worms in their droppings either but not sure that I would.

Have your birds molted recently or are they molting?

You could try putting them on a higher protein diet. 20 to 22%. Something like an all flock or multi flock feed. Some examples are Purina flock raiser “make sure it doesn’t smell weird, I’m having issues with the product lately,” or nutrena all flock, or manna pro duckling and gosling starter.

A liquid multivitamin or dissolvable multivitamin would be a big help also.

Corid won’t hurt and It’s always a good thing to try first. However Corid works as a thiamine blocker to the coccidia so if you give a vitamin mix that has thiamine or a “B complex” it will render the treatment pointless.

With an anemic or otherwise ill bird you want to boost their nutritional intake which presents a major conundrum with using corid, do you give vitamins and void the corid treatment or do you give corid and hold off on the vitamins until after the treatment? This is a major issue I’ve dealt with when coccidia pops up in my birds.
Smz Tmp Will kill the coccidia “Corid doesn’t completely kill it” but SMZ TMP is a broad spectrum antibiotic and will nuke a lot of the beneficial bacteria. It’s mostly a very safe antibiotic but you can’t give supplemental potassium when they’re on it or it can cause heart problems.
The best anticoccidia is Toltrazuril. There are no issues with giving vitamins simultaneously, it kills the coccidia, and its’s only given for 3 days. It’s stupidly expensive though “$80+.”

Have your birds molted recently or are they molting?

You could try putting them on a higher protein diet. 20 to 22%. Something like an all flock or multi flock feed. Some examples are Purina flock raiser “make sure it doesn’t smell weird, I’m having issues with the product lately,” or nutrena all flock, or manna pro duckling and gosling starter.

A liquid multivitamin or dissolvable multivitamin would be a big help also.

Corid won’t hurt and It’s always a good thing to try first. However Corid works as a thiamine blocker to the coccidia so if you give a vitamin mix that has thiamine or a “B complex” it will render the treatment pointless.

With an anemic or otherwise ill bird you want to boost their nutritional intake which presents a major conundrum with using corid, do you give vitamins and void the corid treatment or do you give corid and hold off on the vitamins until after the treatment? This is a major issue I’ve dealt with when coccidia pops up in my birds.
Smz Tmp Will kill the coccidia “Corid doesn’t completely kill it” but SMZ TMP is a broad spectrum antibiotic and will nuke a lot of the beneficial bacteria. It’s mostly a very safe antibiotic but you can’t give supplemental potassium when they’re on it or it can cause heart problems.
The best anticoccidia is Toltrazuril. There are no issues with giving vitamins simultaneously, it kills the coccidia, and its’s only given for 3 days. It’s stupidly expensive though “$80+.”
Thank you so much! I use Toltrazuril in my goats and your right, it works great! How would I administer to the geese and dosage? I don't use supplemental vitamins, if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate it!

pretty much any multivitamin powder packs or liquid packs will do, the more vitamins the better, except sac-a-chick, that’s waste of money.

Prairie pride vitamins and electrolyte, rooster booster poultry cell, poultry nutri-drench, durvet b complex are some of the various ones I’ve tried.

Back
Top Bottom