Ericadeer

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
I am hoping someone can help me! I have (6) 6 day old silkie chicks. I received them 8/30 and one was just noisy as can be, so I checked her out and noticed one of her eyes was just half way open. I would say it also looks a bit more swollen than the other. I wiped with warm water, and have been wiping with a saline rinse every day as well. She has been eating, drinking, poop looks normal, no pasty butt, and she chirps loudly and all day long until just this morning when I found her sleepy and chirping more quietly. Her chirp seems a tad rattly also and she’s off balance. She just sits in my hand I’m so sad!!! I have two warming pads in the brooder so they are nice and toasty, and I have been giving sav a chick electrolytes in their water and chick starter food. Please help! Am I too late?

I am hoping someone can help me! I have (6) 6 day old silkie chicks. I received them 8/30 and one was just noisy as can be, so I checked her out and noticed one of her eyes was just half way open. I would say it also looks a bit more swollen than the other. I wiped with warm water, and have been wiping with a saline rinse every day as well. She has been eating, drinking, poop looks normal, no pasty butt, and she chirps loudly and all day long until just this morning when I found her sleepy and chirping more quietly. Her chirp seems a tad rattly also and she’s off balance. She just sits in my hand I’m so sad!!! I have two warming pads in the brooder so they are nice and toasty, and I have been giving sav a chick electrolytes in their water and chick starter food. Please help! Am I too late?
Do you have any pics of her? I would isolate her. Does she have anything coming from her nose? Sneezing?
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive

Attachments

• A10ACD5B-3B3E-4905-B6EF-E6C96303E465.jpeg
    A10ACD5B-3B3E-4905-B6EF-E6C96303E465.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 7

No but she is gasping for breaths now and making a click sound almost. So sad :(

Won’t open eyes either :(
:hugs I'm sorry about your chick.
How is she doing?
Has she been able to eat/drink for the last few days?
Is she pooping? What does that look like?

She may be suffering from respiratory illness, it's hard to know with chicks so small.
Have you looked inside her beak to make sure there's no obstructions?
Do you see any discharge from the eyes or are they watery?

I would try to keep her warm and offer drops of water to keep her hydrated.

:hugs I'm sorry about your chick.
How is she doing?
Has she been able to eat/drink for the last few days?
Is she pooping? What does that look like?

She may be suffering from respiratory illness, it's hard to know with chicks so small.
Have you looked inside her beak to make sure there's no obstructions?
Do you see any discharge from the eyes or are they watery?

I would try to keep her warm and offer drops of water to keep her hydrated.

Poor baby passed earlier this evening. I tried so hard to keep her alive. So disheartening :( she was eating and drinking up until probably last night and I fed drops of electrolyte water today but she would start gasping every time. Poop was normal and one eye was watery and half shut since day 1. She was always smaller than the rest and just didn’t really grow or thrive. I really think she was partially or fully blind as well. I was worried about it being something contagious that she had but I think it may have just been that she was a runt or under incubated, or something along those lines. Hoping the other 5 stay healthy!! I can’t take another heartbreak! Watching the suffering was so gnarly, but I couldn’t bring myself to end the suffering either. :( thanks for your response and help! ❤️

Poor baby passed earlier this evening. I tried so hard to keep her alive. So disheartening :( she was eating and drinking up until probably last night and I fed drops of electrolyte water today but she would start gasping every time. Poop was normal and one eye was watery and half shut since day 1. She was always smaller than the rest and just didn’t really grow or thrive. I really think she was partially or fully blind as well. I was worried about it being something contagious that she had but I think it may have just been that she was a runt or under incubated, or something along those lines. Hoping the other 5 stay healthy!! I can’t take another heartbreak! Watching the suffering was so gnarly, but I couldn’t bring myself to end the suffering either. :( thanks for your response and help! ❤️
:hugs I'm sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom