Sick Silkie

Becknlina

Chirping
Jun 1, 2022
I'm really hoping somebody can help me solve the mystery of what's going on with my little silkie. She developed wry neck symptoms at 27 weeks. It was mild thankfully, but she had the classic dropping of the head. I brought her inside with my other silkie hen, because they get along very well and I didn't want her isolated and started treatment. My other silkie got wry neck at one week and again at 18 weeks old so I'm fairly well versed in treatment. But this little one has me stumped. I Got her in a pretty good spot but I couldn't get her neck all the way straight. But I left the girls inside over the winter, in a large enclosure, and whenever the weather is nice I take them outside for the day.

But I had her pretty stable and doing good for a good while, then out of nowhere about a month ago she starts to drop her head down every so often. Which tells me that something is off with her diet. And now she's laying eggs without shells, or only partial shells. So obviously I'm thinking that her diet is lacking maybe vitamin e and calcium.

But here's where I'm confused, I'm giving her a combination of layer crumble, Brazil nuts, vitamin E, a couple of drops of nutri drench, I have sprinkled in yeast and I have mixed an egg in. So I'm throwing everything at her I possibly can. Maybe to a fault? Once she started showing problems with her egg shells I started giving her soldier fly larvae a couple times a day but it doesn't seem to be helping. Is there some kind of disorder that just involves the overall absorption of vitamins? I'm starting to think maybe there's something else going on here but I just can't figure it out. I am super hoping somebody has some expert advice they can provide. She's a happy little thing and mostly does well, but I just know there's something she needs that I haven't quite figured out yet and I would just love to get her in a good, healthy spot.

It is hard to know, but I would stay with the balanced layer feed and continue the vitamins. If you lose any of the birds, or you see any other symptoms, I would get a necropsy on the body. Sometimes wry neck can be a symptom of Mareks disease, head injury, or vitamin E or thiamine deficiency.

It is hard to know, but I would stay with the balanced layer feed and continue the vitamins. If you lose any of the birds, or you see any other symptoms, I would get a necropsy on the body. Sometimes wry neck can be a symptom of Mareks disease, head injury, or vitamin E or thiamine deficiency.
I have been treating for vitamin E, Just got some brewers yeast to try to treat for potential vitamin B deficiency. I worried about Mereks but she has no other symptoms than when she does drop her head. It is just occasionally and only for a few seconds.

Back
Top Bottom