sick silkie

chase

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 15, 2009
yesterday while cleaning out my silkie chicks cage i noticed that one of them was just standing in the corner hunched up in a ball with her eyes closed. i kept an eye on her for the remainder of the day, s/he has been moving around a little but very clumbsy as her eyes are still closed, i havent seen her open them at all, she doesnt appear to be eating or drinking even when i pointed her in the right direction and doesnt protest at being picked up.

today i took her out again to take a closer look. her eyes are still closed and her crop is completly empty, shes very lethargic. i took a couple of pictures of her eyes, one of them looks a little crusty but the other doesnt, but neither are opening.
41240_21022010161.jpg
41240_21022010157.jpg

while taking pictures of her eyes, i thought she smelt a little strong and saw this
sickbyc.gif

41240_21022010165.jpg

i dont know how i didnt see it earlier, her fluff must have been hiding it. i dont know if one problem caused the other,
hu.gif

i have given her a bath, i used johnsons baby shampoo as i didnt have anything more suitable, hope this was okay, shes currently under a heat lamp, i have also tried cleaning her eyes with damp cotten wool but it doesnt seem to have helped.
i have also been giving her some suger water from a syringe as i dont know how to get anything else down her, she was eagerly drinking it.
also as i was giving her the water, her eye area kept bulging out, is this normal????
sickbyc.gif

what else should i be trying / doing?

her cage mate doesnt have any of her problems. there kept indoors as i was waiting for the warmer weather before moving them outside. there around 10 weeks(ish)
i dont have any medication, and vets around here dont deal with chickens
sorry it was a little long winded.

so shortly after posting, my ex came round to bring my son home, he decided to take a look, he managed to get her eye lids unstuck and got a little white glupy stuff out her eyes, she was able to hold them open by herself, he also cleared the fluff that had got stuck down across her nostils with whatever the glupy stuff is. she started drinking from her waterer on her own but still hasnt eaten. but 3 hours later and her eyes are now stuck shut again.
hu.gif

any ideas what this is or what i can do?
anyone?

Hmmm... I'm not really sure what to do but I would keep cleaning out her eyes as much as possible so she can at least see better. also, try feeding her leetuce as that might be more apatizing than regualr chicken food

Back
Top Bottom