Sick Toulouse goose

Cjohnson423

In the Brooder
Oct 15, 2023
I have a Toulouse goose who is foaming out his eyes, diarrhea, throwing up, and is very weak but still drinking. Google doesn’t help much with diagnosing him so figured I would check here!! I did have some corid on hand and gave him a little of that in his water hoping it might help!

I have a Toulouse goose who is foaming out his eyes, diarrhea, throwing up, and is very weak but still drinking. Google doesn’t help much with diagnosing him so figured I would check here!! I did have some corid on hand and gave him a little of that in his water hoping it might help!
Could you post a picture of the eyes and droppings?

How long has he been like this?

Have you noticed any red, black, orange, bright yellow, or bright grass green colors in the droppings or any mucous in the droppings?

How would you describe the way he’s vomiting? Is he spitting up fluid or drool, sort of flinging it out or is he stretching his head out and dumping the entire contents of his stomach out like a hose while shaking his head?

is he vomiting up food, fluid, both, or a thick yellow goop?

Has he had access to anything unusual, has he been chewing on metal, wires, anything with peeling paint, poisonous plants, anything moldy?

foamy eyes or bubbles in eyes is usually from mycoplasma, mycoplasma can be treated with two antibiotics denegard or Tylosin, Tylosin goes down a lot easier and is more effective because it doesn’t cause extreme vomiting like denegard does.

Geese can get a few strains of mycoplasma, the usual one geese get affects their reproductive organs, affecting their egg laying in females and causing prolapse and penile necrosis in males.
Chickens tend to get CRD caused two different strains of mycoplasma, either of which can cause upper respiratory issues, hock swelling, and bubbling eyes, which could mean it’s CRD. Geese tend to get milder symptoms than chickens do so either your goose has a particularly nasty strain, he has something else going on in conjunction with CRD which is common, or there’s entirely something else wrong.

Could you post a picture of the eyes and droppings?

How long has he been like this?

Have you noticed any red, black, orange, bright yellow, or bright grass green colors in the droppings or any mucous in the droppings?

How would you describe the way he’s vomiting? Is he spitting up fluid or drool, sort of flinging it out or is he stretching his head out and dumping the entire contents of his stomach out like a hose while shaking his head?

is he vomiting up food, fluid, both, or a thick yellow goop?

Has he had access to anything unusual, has he been chewing on metal, wires, anything with peeling paint, poisonous plants, anything moldy?

foamy eyes or bubbles in eyes is usually from mycoplasma, mycoplasma can be treated with two antibiotics denegard or Tylosin, Tylosin goes down a lot easier and is more effective because it doesn’t cause extreme vomiting like denegard does.

Geese can get a few strains of mycoplasma, the usual one geese get affects their reproductive organs, affecting their egg laying in females and causing prolapse and penile necrosis in males.
Chickens tend to get CRD caused two different strains of mycoplasma, either of which can cause upper respiratory issues, hock swelling, and bubbling eyes, which could mean it’s CRD. Geese tend to get milder symptoms than chickens do so either your goose has a particularly nasty strain, he has something else going on in conjunction with CRD which is common, or there’s entirely something else wrong.

I just noticed him like this yesterday. The foaming eyes… when he threw up he was shaking his head and just leaned forward and it all came out, that was watery and green, somewhat foamy also. I don’t think I saw any thick yellow in it. As of now he isn’t even attempting to stand or drink (he did drink on his own a few hours ago) but will stand if I lift him.

They have always been free range and there isn’t anything new out here he would have gotten in to. The other 8 are doing fine and acting normal.

The droppings are mucous-y and really runny. No abnormal colors though.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    801.4 KB · Views: 6
I just noticed him like this yesterday. The foaming eyes… when he threw up he was shaking his head and just leaned forward and it all came out, that was watery and green, somewhat foamy also. I don’t think I saw any thick yellow in it. As of now he isn’t even attempting to stand or drink (he did drink on his own a few hours ago) but will stand if I lift him.

They have always been free range and there isn’t anything new out here he would have gotten in to. The other 8 are doing fine and acting normal.

That’s definitely vomiting. Whatever is going on is an acute illness if it came on that rapidly. Did you notice any subdued behavior, lack of activity or depression in the days before?

Usually foamy eyes are mycoplasma like I said so Tylosin is the best treatment, it will also treat a number of other things like pasteurella, clostridium, and various other things.
Usually mycoplasma isn’t this severe though. If it is mycoplasma, it‘s transmission is fairly slow, meaning the others will get it very slowly over a long period, but they will get it. It affects young birds and males the worst. Antibiotics also won’t cure it, just beat it back for awhile, it will be a life long issue that appears whenever the bird is stressed and predispose them to other illnesses.

The severeness of your goose’s case does seem unusual though and it makes me wonder if something else may be the cause, foamy eyes is a common symptom in mycoplasma, but eye discharge is a result of other more severe respiratory problems, one of which is bird flu. There are a lot of avian flu strains in constant circulation everywhere, most are non lethal but HPAI has been unfortunately prevalent the last few years all over the northern hemisphere, so that possibility exists.
if it is a virus all you can do is keep him comfortable and hope for the best, if he’s infected there’s a high probability the others are also.

That’s definitely vomiting. Whatever is going on is an acute illness if it came on that rapidly. Did you notice any subdued behavior, lack of activity or depression in the days before?

Usually foamy eyes are mycoplasma like I said so Tylosin is the best treatment, it will also treat a number of other things like pasteurella, clostridium, and various other things.
Usually mycoplasma isn’t this severe though. If it is mycoplasma, it‘s transmission is fairly slow, meaning the others will get it very slowly over a long period, but they will get it. It affects young birds and males the worst. Antibiotics also won’t cure it, just beat it back for awhile, it will be a life long issue that appears whenever the bird is stressed and predispose them to other illnesses.

The severeness of your goose’s case does seem unusual though and it makes me wonder if something else may be the cause, foamy eyes is a common symptom in mycoplasma, but eye discharge is a result of other more severe respiratory problems, one of which is bird flu. There are a lot of avian flu strains in constant circulation everywhere, most are non lethal but HPAI has been unfortunately prevalent the last few years all over the northern hemisphere, so that possibility exists.
if it is a virus all you can do is keep him comfortable and hope for the best, if he’s infected there’s a high probability the others are also.
I didn’t think geese could get avian flu!? That was half the reason I got them 🤦🏼‍♀️ it’s so weird because he isn’t wheezy or anything. His breathing seems fine. I just don’t get it! I’ll order the tylosin for the others in case they get sick also, but I’m thinking it’s too late for this guy 😢

He passed

I didn’t think geese could get avian flu!? That was half the reason I got them 🤦🏼‍♀️ it’s so weird because he isn’t wheezy or anything. His breathing seems fine. I just don’t get it! I’ll order the tylosin for the others in case they get sick also, but I’m thinking it’s too late for this guy 😢
Every bird is susceptible to some degree, geese are one of the most effected.
I ordered it! Should I treat all my geese with it when it arrives? Unfortunately it will be too late for this little guy, I don’t think he will make it more than a couple hours…
I’m so sorry. Keep it around because it’s definitely useful for a number of things. Unless the others show symptoms I don’t think it‘s necessary to put them on it.
He passed
I’m so sorry!

Considering he passed so quickly there really wasn’t anything you or a vet could have done to change things.

Back
Top Bottom