Sick turkey poult

hellfire

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2013
Plymouth Devon UK
First time mum hatched her poults last Friday. She’s been very clumsy scratching about sending her babies flying. One I thought was dead, cold and squashed I managed to revive and after a few hours put him back and he’s doing well. Then had another one who was squashed again this time with a head wound and no amount of TLC would set him right and he passed away. Today I have one hunched up, empty croup, wont sit will only stand but it’s weak and wobbly. I’ve separated now and this one is currently totally separate in a warm brooder. It’s pooped but the croups empty. I’ve syringed some sugar water into its beak to try perk it up but currently just stood huddled wings dropping eyes shut. Any ideas on what else I could do? It may not be mum and some sickness. She’s been a terrible Mum. Babies crying as they are cold and she’s too busy having a dust bath or pecking about to care. Or flinging them with her feet scratching about. I wanted to get some turmeric into it but it won’t eat. Even tried some egg but won’t eat anything. Any ideas much appreciated.

First time mum hatched her poults last Friday. She’s been very clumsy scratching about sending her babies flying. One I thought was dead, cold and squashed I managed to revive and after a few hours put him back and he’s doing well. Then had another one who was squashed again this time with a head wound and no amount of TLC would set him right and he passed away. Today I have one hunched up, empty croup, wont sit will only stand but it’s weak and wobbly. I’ve separated now and this one is currently totally separate in a warm brooder. It’s pooped but the croups empty. I’ve syringed some sugar water into its beak to try perk it up but currently just stood huddled wings dropping eyes shut. Any ideas on what else I could do? It may not be mum and some sickness. She’s been a terrible Mum. Babies crying as they are cold and she’s too busy having a dust bath or pecking about to care. Or flinging them with her feet scratching about. I wanted to get some turmeric into it but it won’t eat. Even tried some egg but won’t eat anything. Any ideas much appreciated.
Not all turkey hens are good mothers. Catch all the poults and put them in a brooder before you lose all of them. Too much time being chilled will kill poults. Forget about the turmeric and get some good high protein turkey or game bird starter for them.

Not all turkey hens are good mothers. Catch all the poults and put them in a brooder before you lose all of them. Too much time being chilled will kill poults. Forget about the turmeric and get some good high protein turkey or game bird starter for them.
Thanks. I’ve hatched turkeys for 20 years and this is only the second time I’ve had a bad mum. They are on proper turkey starter crumb. Turmeric can be used as supplement for a pick me up along with other things as have no chick vit boost on hand. I tried egg to see if it would eat that as stopped eating crumb. I’ve already separated the rest from mum.

So basically what I’m asking is how to try get feed into this chick or is there something I can give it to drink in a pipett as a pick me up as I’m unsure what’s wrong with it right now.

Back
Top Bottom