*sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em)

Tani is going to her apparently early-starting local public school for math and Spanish.
wink.png
Eenie has been managing to dodge the issue with her mom for quite some time now...

Oh *thupt*. I qualify as an elder (trust me, I accidentally looked in the mirror yesterday.....it was appalling)

You don't learn anything in school (well, I did learn stuff in college, but not in the jillion years of school before college).

Skip all school.....you wanna learn something, check out a book! (People do still read books, right?)

Oh *thupt*. I qualify as an elder (trust me, I accidentally looked in the mirror yesterday.....it was appalling)

You don't learn anything in school (well, I did learn stuff in college, but not in the jillion years of school before college).

Skip all school.....you wanna learn something, check out a book! (People do still read books, right?)
I figure you learn all the stuff you need to know to have people take you even slightly seriously in school, but you have to learn everything useful beyond that in the real world.

In our house at least. I don't know about anywhere else. My mother mentioned something the other day about how the classics are no longer taught in public school, and that things like the Hunger Games are on the fifth grade reading level. Being an Elder is about as appalling as breathing, compared to my reaction to that.

"Y'mean, *starting to freak out* To say that I've read more complicated *hyperventilates* literature than most people my age, and people Joshua's age are reading about kids ruthlessly killing other kids in a post-apocalyptic America wherein the capital is called 'Bread' in Latin?"
th.gif

I was kind of used to the fact that I had read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court just because if I read it fast, I could finish it before Eenie, and assumed that it was completely natural for that kind of sibling rivalry to take place. Perhaps not.
hu.gif

Interesting... That put me in mind of the part in First Contact where Lily is yelling at Picard, and snarkily asks him something along the lines of "You do have books in the 24th century, don't you?" after calling him Ahab. And now I'll shut up, because I'm rambling.

I read "Pygmalion" last month for English, and apparently that was shocking to people that were directing Erner's drama workshop. It's a tragic state of affairs. "Why can't the English teach their children how to read?"

Twelve billion years ago, when Alaskan went to college, Alaskan would start to hyperventilate when informed that the other incoming freshman had read one book per year of high school, and written only two papers total.

Alaskan felt abused, since Alaskan had been required to do quite a bit more work.

(In elderly hindsight, Alaskan is very happy that Alaskan was "abused" in such a fashion)

"Call me Ishmael." No, don't. Please don't!
What is it about the writers of "Star Trek" and Herman Melville? I seem to think Khan quoted him (though I think General Chang quoted Shakespeare in another movie, didn't he?)

Bunny's fuzzy mind can't remember how many of the "classics" she was required to read. An awful lot of what I read wasn't required. And I remember a high school English class that asked to do a research paper, because we knew we'd need to in college, and wanted the practice . . . (see, there are others as weird as me)

Back
Top Bottom