Sight Sexing Barred Plymouth Rock Chicks at Hatch

Pics
Hey! Can we wake this thread back up and get some of your super awesome opinions?! Two BR chicks hatched today and I have reread this thread over and over the past week. Unfortunately, I think two little cockerels have joined the clan but I am hoping maybe the are "what the hecks"! ;)

That is chick one ^ - here is chick two below, who is almost identical. The super dark legs all the way to the feet are what throws me off. I gave up on the head spots!

I'm so excited lol! We had 2 out of 3 eggs hatch last week. Based on the pictures, I am fairly certain that one is female and one is a male. We'll see if my prediction is correct...

In reading all this I went in armed with tons of information but now am throughly confused.

I believe these two to be girls? Am I correct, I got 8 my friend is taking 6 and the other two are staying with me as I have a smaller set up and prefer not to have birds butchered. Only one of them has dark legs, some have some spots of dark on the legs but nothing like the first post. Can I attempt feather sexing them at this age? They are about 5 days old.

Hi all,

Have recently hatched my first clutch of 3 BPR eggs out of 6 eggs in a home-made incubator. It actually worked!

Was hoping someone could help with sexing the 3 cuties please!

Chick 1 - I think is a girl as the black goes down to tip of the toe, but then I haven't done this before! It's black all over apart from the dot on the head.

Chick 2 - not so sure of this one - what happens when there's black on the leg but it doesn't go down to the toe? It has patches of light coloured feathers on wing tips, underbelly and tail.

Chick 3 - same as chick 2 above - black on the leg but it doesn't go down to the toe? It has large patches of light coloured feathers on wing tips, underbelly and tail.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help, appreciate it!

Okay, So I need to get some better pictures. I am pretty certain one is a little pullet due to her legs being very dark. I am uncertain on the other smaller one. If someone could give me some opinions or possibly tell me if I need to post some better pictures. I am hoping they are both little pullets but the smaller chick does not have as dark of legs so I am suspicious it may be a male!
I was told they were both females.

Can anyone confirm if this is a Dominique? Also what would happen if I bred him with my Rhode Island reds? And I just recently got 2 barred rock pullets, what would happen if in be future I bred them with the rooster? I'm sorry I'm new and I don't know how to make my own post just yet. Thanks in advance!

Can anyone confirm if this is a Dominique? Also what would happen if I bred him with my Rhode Island reds? And I just recently got 2 barred rock pullets, what would happen if in be future I bred them with the rooster? I'm sorry I'm new and I don't know how to make my own post just yet. Thanks in advance!
He looks like a barred Plymouth Rock. The comb type is wrong for a Dominique.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom