Sign of the times ...and How did they know?

If you put a chair in the front yard that you don't want, out a sign on it for $10. You will get a kick on how much faster it will leave the yard. Used to be a game on our road untill we ran out of stuff we didn't want.

Put 'it' out along our road, and 'it' goes. No need to take anything to community garbage day. The 'garbage pickers' have already run off with it.
idunno.gif

A few years ago we had several pretty nice bicycles in an estate load we bought come in at our antiques and collectibles store. We don't sell stuff like that, so I took a couple home for our kids and we put the other 5 or 6 out on the sidewalk with a sign on them saying "Free, take one!"

No takers.

For a couple of weeks we'd roll them out every morning, back in every night at closing time. I thought sure kids would grab them in a heartbeat, but boy was I wrong. After a couple of weeks my wife rolled them around to the side of the building to be hauled off to the dump at some point. I was afraid the town might say something about junk being piled up, so I threw a cheap tarp over them and went home.

The next morning they were all gone.

For years after that anytime we had something we didn't want we'd put it at the end of the building and cover it with that same cheap tarp. I saved hundreds of dollars in dump fees over the years.

I have put all sorts of weird stuff by my driveway and it's ALWAYS gone.. broken dishwasher? check.. broken swingset? gone.. 5 gallon buckets with driveway sealer coating up the inside? GONE. I am amazed at what people will take.

Best one was when I put our broken microwave out front - it was gone within the hour then RETURNED.. LOL. And then gone again.
smile.png

We made roughly $3,000 over the summer by letting DH's co-worker come up to the farm and remove every bit of metal he could find. He picks it up, hauls it off and splits the money with us. Not a bad deal. Hoping he comes to get the two remaining silos soon. Mama needs a new kitchen table.
bun.gif

Quote:
hahaha! oh my goodness!
My best friend refers herself as 'mama' just as you have and it gets me everytime.
lol.png

I can so hear her saying this!

Last edited:
Maybe they thought they could fix it.

I used to live in a place where people left things out near the trash bins and other people would pick it up. We used to leave things to the side such as furniture, etc, so that people could take it if they wanted. We've picked up some decent stuff that way and others have gotten stuff from us, too. It was really easy and most people knew that was what you're supposed to do. At the place I live now, people still do that, but not as much.

Honestly, there are some strange people out there. We had an old couch in the garage for the longest time. A brooder for new chicks was right next to it and it was CAKED with chick dust. And we all know what is in chick dust. We did not bother to clean it up, just put it out with a sign that said FREE.

Two days later it was gone - minus the center piece. It was a love seat/couch with a center piece that had storage. They left that. ?????

Last edited:
DH no longer makes bets with me. The last one was the bedroom set - think IKEA type, but after 3 generations of kids - held together with extra screws, tape etc. He said it's gotta go to the dump, what a chore. I said, just haul it to the curb and it'll be gone. He argued. I made it a bet.

2 hours, gone.

The curb is such a easy way to get rid of crap that I don't want to bother going to the recycling or scrap yard with.

It's as amusing as holding a garage sale. DH said, no way was any one gonna buy two puzzles from the kid sister, glued together, of like fairies and dolphins and unicorns crap. I bet. It was the ONLY thing that sold. PS, we don't bother with holding garage sales anymore.

Back
Top Bottom