Sign of the times ...and How did they know?

I put a broken chair out on the curb last night. Not only was it broken, it had been sitting in the rain so it had gotten moldy - I haven't been there yet to look but I bet it's gone.
smile.png

Quote:
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png
I've had a couch that I got sympathy for having before...

And just how, these inquiring minds want to know, do you eat for two for Two weeks on $20 these days? Or was that just as long ago as when I had that couch?

I would like to know as well. two weeks on 20 smakers cant be done these days.
hmm.png

I think I might put up a sign this weekend at curbcycle for "alot of crap for 20 bux".
tongue.png

That was erm 17? years ago or so. I forget exactly. Between 18 and 15 years, we had one kid and I wasn't pregnant yet.

Base of EVERY meal those days was often red beans and rice. So, $5 there for those lasts 2 weeks easy. Which left me $15 for extras. I think I hit up the sales, and we were just seeing how long that lasted. Let's just say on an E-3 salary with 2 people and an infant, I learned how to make a penny scream and cry when I pinched it.

My DH and children would LOVE if we'd have red beans and rice with every meal again. We often have it in the fridge or cooking.

Last edited:
That explains it. It's been 26 years since the couch at DH's work ate the very pregnant lady. Instead of helping me up, nearly the entire workplace came by. And when the company redid the front office? They gave us the couch.

Yup, $20 made a big difference in the monthly budget back then.

Last edited:
Quote:
Why did they think you'd want the carnivorus couch for? Our couch was just plain awful, we didn't use it, and we had gotten a 18th hand sofa from MIL and SFIL that was lovely, smelled clean, and was comfortable. So the evil beast got drug outside to it's death.

If I see that thing on Hoarders, I'm going to call that show and explain that the person needs more help than whatever they offer, that couch was just awful. There are no words to describe how bad it was. It really wasn't even a couch anymore, just parts that were once a couch we think.

Office humor.

Actually, it was a pretty nice Looking couch and setup, except for the eating people. A little plywood fixed that. It replaced the truly hideous couch from DH single days - black and white plaid. Thinking about it, I've had a chain of ugly couches then.

Years ago we were renting a house that the owner was getting foreclosed on (we didn't know it at the time until the last month we lived there). So one of the things we did was call the city for a bulk pick up. Early Sunday evening we as we finished the clean up we put the stuff for the bulk pick up out by the curb we had scheduled for Monday morning. No problem. Wrong. I went to turn the key in to the rental company a couple days later and they said that after we left a swarm of people came and dumped out all the bags of trash and went through them leaving the trash all over the yard.

Then a couple years after that on the other side of town we were doing the getting rid of the junk thing. Had a bulk pick up scheduled for the next day. We started cleaning out the garage and setting boxes on the yard to go through. It took all of a half hour and someone was asking to take stuff and I hadn't gone through it all yet. So we went through what was out and didn't put anything else on the lawn that was junk. We were cleaning out the garage half the day and the whole time there was a steady stream of people taking stuff from the pile.

It wasn't till a couple years later that craigslist started up but I guess out there it wasn't necessary.

Then a couple years later we moved to the desert again renting with the trash and water paid so we never got that bill. One day I saw all the neighbors had bulky items out to be picked up. So I put mine out. They didn't get picked up. Apparently you had to call and tell them that you had stuff for the bulk day. So I had to lug all that old broken up furniture back in. I didn't get lucky enough to have someone want to take it.

Quote:
We lived with ugly couches for YEARS. I am the queen of slipcovers. Besides, we have always had dogs, and the dumb things get on the couch and ick. So I don't really care how ugly, just if I can stand to sit on it.

Actually, I think our current couch is pretty ugly under it's slipcover. I know, they might be out of date and whatever, but I've got dogs and small children. Plus big children and DH who put their feet on furniture.

I'll have nice furniture when I don't have feet and pets and small children on my furniture. Since that's not anywhere in my foreseeable future, I'll have ugly furniture.

I had a couch that I called "Santa Fe Christmas". It was my grandma's and became ours. It had a loud Southwestern design and the colors were forest green, dark dark red, and gold. It was one of the few pieces we brought with us to Tx. After about 2 weeks in the new house and replacing alot of the stuff we chucked I broke down and said let's get rid of this while we can.

Back
Top Bottom