Silencing a rooster

We live in the city where chickens are not welcomed. Either I find a way to keep him quiet or he has to go.
So you are not allowed to have chickens at all....or just no crowers?
...or is there a 'noise' condition?
You do know that female birds can get pretty darn loud too,
but rarely at night like with crowers.

Although I cannot think of any good way to let in fresh air without letting light in too, and letting sound out.
Exactly!

You’re speaking of making a chicken retreat? Is that to muffle the crowing because it won’t just happen in the morning. He will crow all f*%#ing day long. He would have to be in the dark box all day and night. I’m so sorry I’m sure he is a sweet bird for now, but for his sake I would take him to the humane society or ASPCA.

I truly love that you are trying so hard and care so much for him.

Do you have kids? If he beats them up when he’s older you may feel better about offing him.

Soundproof would be just as good (he could crow, but no-one else would hear).

Although I cannot think of any good way to let in fresh air without letting light in too, and letting sound out.
An angled vent would allow air but reduce light. Think of a vent with a cover running down. A fan would also help.

You’re speaking of making a chicken retreat? Is that to muffle the crowing because it won’t just happen in the morning. He will crow all f*%#ing day long. He would have to be in the dark box all day and night. I’m so sorry I’m sure he is a sweet bird for now, but for his sake I would take him to the humane society or ASPCA.

I truly love that you are trying so hard and care so much for him.

Do you have kids? If he beats them up when he’s older you may feel better about offing him.
Kids are grown. Daytime crowing isn't an issue. People here only tend to call for removal when they can't sleep in. I may go door to door and check with neighbors. There are no organizations here to rescue roosters. None.
In your climate the whole box would need louvered vents...and be kept in the shade.
Morning heat even in summer isn't bad until about 10am. All coops and runs are under shade. Anything else would be abuse. They even an evaporation unit just in case.

Maybe I missed your answer to this:

Exactly!

I've had my big girls for a while. No noise issues. I picked the breeds for their temperament. We are in the city where sounds are part of daily life. Airplanes, cars, music, neighbors. It's a live and kicking community; one that likes to sleep in.

There are no ventilation problems, nor temperature issues.
Sounds tempting. Hey kids! You haven't called your mother. Lucifer, get 'em. Lol. A little adult children humor. Doesn't apply to me but thought it was funny 🤷🏻‍♀️

I've had my big girls for a while. No noise issues. I picked the breeds for their temperament. We are in the city where sounds are part of daily life. Airplanes, cars, music, neighbors. It's a live and kicking community; one that likes to sleep in.

There are no ventilation problems, nor temperature issues.

Sounds tempting. Hey kids! You haven't called your mother. Lucifer, get 'em. Lol. A little adult children humor. Doesn't apply to me but thought it was funny 🤷🏻‍♀️
Lol you can put a little army outfit on him and weaponize him. Really though if it’s only the night crowing you’re trying to curtail then a dark box may be your answer.

Maybe I missed your answer to this:
I founded and run an urban farming project in its experimental/test stages. This includes keeping poultry. What happens here will affect how others are allowed or disallowed to engage in such activities in the future.

Raising chickens is a cultural norm in South Florida. There are many free roamers of mixed breeds.

Back
Top Bottom