Silencing a rooster

Get rid of him. If you can't find a home then put him on the table. If you're not allowed to keep chickens then he's putting the whole flock at risk of discovery and you could end up having to get rid of them all.

I have a difficult decision to make. One of my four new chicks is a rooster. Hopefully the only one.

He is a pretty awesome bird. Tame, allows me to pick him up easily and likes my big hens. They all share our yard plus an 18 x 16 pen.

We live in the city where chickens are not welcomed. Either I find a way to keep him quiet or he has to go.

Going away is a problem. I haven't found any takers. A few places are dealing with predator problems and have lost several birds. Tried the collar but he freaks out something awful. Even had a friend who uses one check it out. Luci does not tolerate the collar.

Lucifer (previously Lucille) is not loud (yet) nor does he crow a lot. I've accustomed the chick flock to stay in their ample coop until at least 8:30am. I have to be quiet in the morning or he will call for me. There is food water treats and multiple levels for them to hop around. My big girls are in a different coop next to the the chick coop. They're very quiet until they see or hear me. Then they too call for me.

Now, I'm cognizant of the fact that Luci will get louder and more active as he matures.

Short of building them an actual house is there anything I can do? I don't want to mutilate his vocal chords but I don't want to endanger him either.

Help!

Have you thought of trying to place him at a farm animal sanctuary? I don't know of any in your area but you may want to google for some names and reach out to see if someone can take him and perhaps visit to check them out. Good luck!

Put the no crow collar on him and leave him alone. Let him freak out and roll around. He will deal with it. I have them on two roosters of mine. They freaked out for hours and eventually quit whining about it. You need to give them time to get used to it. If you can't bear to watch them roll around and try to get away from it, walk away and go inside. It isn't hurting them. They need to get used to the feel of it.

Back
Top Bottom