Silkes are laying for MORE then 21 days and 2 chicks died.

ginbart

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 9, 2008
Bloomsburg, PA
I have 2 Silkies that went broody and both have been sitting for 28 days, I think. I saw an egg in the pen that was bad they kicked it out of the nesting box. The one chicken hatched 3 chicks but 2 died and they are still laying on the eggs. Can I take the eggs out? I guess I better check the eggs but I'm afraid they will blow if I bring them in the house.

What would you all do?

Last edited:
If they have been sitting 28 days, I would take the remaining eggs away and get the hens off the nest. Do you know why the chicks died? I have a few that have turned out to be horrible broodies and killed a few chicks by either stepping on them or neglecting them while they continued to sit. After 28 days I imagine you are done.

As for checking the eggs, take a ziploc bag and seal the eggs up. If you want to crack them to see what is up, try tapping the big end with a spoon or knife handle and then gently peel off the shell. As long as they are in the bag you should be okay if you get an exploder.

Quote:
I'm not sure why they died, but they got out of the nesting box and maybe the roo got after them. I did bring the last one in and it's doing great. I think she was a first time mom.

I will go out and get the rest of the eggs today it's going to be very hot and I don't want them popping in the boxes. I'll try and open them and see what I can see. Thanks for you help.

Back
Top Bottom