Silkes are laying for MORE then 21 days and 2 chicks died.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Jul 3, 2010.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have 2 Silkies that went broody and both have been sitting for 28 days, I think. I saw an egg in the pen that was bad they kicked it out of the nesting box. The one chicken hatched 3 chicks but 2 died and they are still laying on the eggs. Can I take the eggs out? I guess I better check the eggs but I'm afraid they will blow if I bring them in the house.

What would you all do?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Anyone???????????????

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    If they have been sitting 28 days, I would take the remaining eggs away and get the hens off the nest. Do you know why the chicks died? I have a few that have turned out to be horrible broodies and killed a few chicks by either stepping on them or neglecting them while they continued to sit. After 28 days I imagine you are done.

As for checking the eggs, take a ziploc bag and seal the eggs up. If you want to crack them to see what is up, try tapping the big end with a spoon or knife handle and then gently peel off the shell. As long as they are in the bag you should be okay if you get an exploder.

4. ginbart

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:I'm not sure why they died, but they got out of the nesting box and maybe the roo got after them. I did bring the last one in and it's doing great. I think she was a first time mom.

I will go out and get the rest of the eggs today it's going to be very hot and I don't want them popping in the boxes. I'll try and open them and see what I can see. Thanks for you help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by