Silkie and frizzle chicks- how to tell apart?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BetsyB0101, Nov 4, 2011.

1. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    I am not the brightest person in the world. I got my box of chicks from the postoffice this morning and was so excited! So I came home and put them all under the light and they are doing great! Then it hits me! I ordered 20 silkies and 20 Frizzles, my friend gets half. I mixed them all up! They are all together! Can anyone give me tips on how to tell them apart? They are two days old and all colors. I can't post pics, am too new.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    silkies should have black legs, beak, and skin as well as 5 toes, they may also have a small poof on top of their heads.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    silkies have 5 toes and black skin what kind of frizzle?

4. BetsyB0101

BetsyB0101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    Southwest Missouri
    [​IMG] that's great! I can tell now! And the Frizzles are just frizzle bantams. Is that what you mean? I am just learning all this.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The silkies will have 5 toes, black skin and a crest. They will also have "hair-like" feathers. The frizzles (probably frizzled Cochins) will have feathers that all turn outwards towards the head. If they are Cochins they will only have 4 toes and yellow skin. Post up some pics, it should be easy to tell them apart :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by