Silkie and Silkie X sexing help

DanyyChicken

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Southern NH
This weekend I went to the swap not expecting to make any purchases. Two birds later I came home. I really liked this black silkie cross. The breeder told me it was 3 1/2 months old...she thought it was a pullet. Since I was gonna have to go thru the trouble of quarantine before introducing to existing flock of 7 mixed breed I thought I would get a companion to kept her company. I wanted a silkie but not necessarily a white one but felt this was my best bet at picking a hen. There were 4 in the pen supposedly all from same hatch date. One was smaller than all the others and some else purchased that bird. One was obviously a rooster as it had a comb growing and then two were the same size. I figured compared to the other rooster in the pen these looked like pullets now I'm wondering. Of course I forgot to ask how old just ask a couple time that they all hatched on same day for comparison. The silkie I have does not have any bumps on comb that I can feel.
It is only second day and these two birds were not from same breeder but I am housing them together in large dog kennel cab. The silkie is now occasionally chasing the poor black bird around the dog crate. I thought I was doing her a favor to have a companion in solitairy confinement. No attacks are from the front. They are all directed from behind on the back. Do you think the silkie is a roo? Both roos? Hens working it out?
I'd appreciate your in put.
wink.png

84645_byc_6.jpg

84645_byc_9.jpg

84645_byc_5.jpg

84645_byc_12.jpg

84645_byc_1.jpg

84645_byc_13.jpg

84645_byc_bb_6.jpg

84645_byc_bb_1.jpg

84645_byc_bb_8.jpg

84645_byc_bb_5.jpg

84645_byc_bb_3.jpg

WOW! Did I finally pick them right. I don't usually have good luck picking females. Out of my first 12 to make up my flock I had five roosters! We currently have one of those the other four were rehomed. I was so nervous about making any purchases one of the other sellers there offered to take back any Roos from me. I was having anxiety over the thought of it. I did not want to end up with another Roo. Don't get me wrong I personally think they are beautiful but it's easier to keep the peace with only one in my small flock.
When I observed the behavior of the white silkie my rooster flag went up. I guess I was wrong and I just picked a bossy one.
Thanks for your votes.
Two girls, ya!
ya.gif

Glad to report these two are getting along great after the initial stressful day of occasional attacks by the white silkie on the black bird.
I quess she was just asserting her dominance. The dominance for her will only be temporary till she is integrated into the existing flock then all bets are off.
roll.png

thumbsup.gif
My silkies don't take anything from my other chickens. They might be small and fluffy, but they can be just as rotten as the big girls, lol.

Quote:

I know right? I read some people's posts whose silkies are getting picked on. Maybe theirs need to learn from mine. It's nothing unusual to see one of mine go flying across the yard to put one of the big girls back in their place. And that's when they aren't broody, which isn't very often. When they are, everyone better keep their distance, lol.

Back
Top Bottom