1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Attacked by Hawk - Shock?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickensRDinos, Jan 19, 2013.

1. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My silkie was just attacked by a hawk. My neighbor scared it off before it did any real damage. She is missing a lot of feathers and has a small bleeding wound on one wing but overall it looks fairly minor all things considered. She is bobbing her head in what looks like an involuntary twitching motion. Shock:? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

She is warm, safe and isolated and the wound has been cleaned. I have electrolytes and non-pain neosporin. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

Thank you!

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bless her heart. You did right by isolating her and keeping her warm. I hope she does well.

3. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you. The head twitching is what has me really worried. When I run water along the side of her beak she is not drinking or swallowing.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Some purple medicine dabbed on top of the Neosporin would be nice.

Check her over carefully for puncture wounds. The bleeding wound on her wing is likely just were the hawk began eating, not were he captured her.

Please keep us updated.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  5. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Good point about the claws. I will look her over again for puncture wounds. Darn all that fluff.

6. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    The force of the blow can cause brain trauma (swelling) and you will see the neurological signs you mention. Being slammed against the ground effects internal organs, too.

When birds like are are brought in we normally place them in an oxygen cage, keep them warm, and when they stabilize we'll start treatment such as sq fluids,x-rays, injections and so forth. Giving birds time to calm down really makes a different when treating them.

7. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank you. I am starting to worry that it is head trauma. It has been about 6 hours now and her head has not stopped twitching.

8. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    give her a day or two. dont over analyze.

9. ChickensRDinos

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Unfortunately still no signs of improvement. I am starting to feel a bit hopeless. She will swallow if given water by dropper but can't eat or drink on her own. Can't left her head and is still twitchy.

10. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    No, doesn't sound good. Silkies have an odd skull structure that simply may not allow her to recover. Sorry she isn't improving.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by