Silkie broody age

Cack-a-doodle

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2015
How old does a silkie need to be to go broody? My silkie is 5 months and laid her first egg today,so how long before she goes broody and one last question how tall can a silkie hen grow to be?thanks in advance.

Sikies can be a range of sizes, from teeny tiny to fairly large, but nothing Super big, should just stay pretty round. I found that most chickens just go broody whenever XD Never anytime convenient for me~ Our silkie hen is about 16 months and has gone broody twice, each for a week. My Cochin hens who are just under two years old have gone broody 5 times and they lasted quite longer. My small EE Bantam who is also just under 2 years has gone broody twice, one time for longer than a month before we were able to 'break' her from it ^^ So just wait and pray, hope that you can get your girl to go broody :D

And if I may ask, do you want her to go broody to hatch chicks?

I want to hatch some eggs from my other birds and maybe some of her own eggs my rooster does not seem to be mating with her yet, is it cause she's too small or too young.
Edit:thanks for replying and how many eggs will she be abl to cover of her own. And other sized eggs.

Last edited:
Depends on egg sizes, you can go out there and test by just sitting her down in a nest and seeing if she can fully cover "said amount" of eggs and keep trying until there is no more room. My silkie can cover about 6 medium and small eggs, while my smaller hen who's a Easter Egger bantam can cover around 9 eggs.

I wanted to ask how big are ur silkies. I'm worried that my silkies a runt and has a growing problem.ive never kept silkies before and kind of nervous about how she turns outs .she's roughly 5-6 inches tall.
I even found a second egg today I'm really happy.there approximately 3 cm by 1cm. Do you think they'll get bigger.

I'm sorry if my replys are all over the place.i just get excited. I also wanted to thank u for ur replys

I wanted to ask how big are ur silkies. I'm worried that my silkies a runt and has a growing problem.ive never kept silkies before and kind of nervous about how she turns outs .she's roughly 5-6 inches tall.
I even found a second egg today I'm really happy.there approximately 3 cm by 1cm. Do you think they'll get bigger.
Wow! That's a tiny egg! Can you post a pic?

Back
Top Bottom