Silkie bullying her sister a bit, what to do?

FluffyFaverolles

Songster
Nov 28, 2020
I have a silkie named Quinn who has always been a bit independent but she’s rarely straight-up mean. Lately she’s been quick to get upset when another hen gets too close to her. I noticed the other day that she had caught some of her foot blood feathers and was bleeding, so I treated her and that’s mostly the timeframe of her behaving like this. Is it just because she feels gross from her feet hurting? That’s what I’m guessing. I’ll look at her today since her feathers should be more healed up.
I should note, she’s the youngest in the flock as well as her sister (they came from the same flock.) She doesn’t pull this with the other hens who are years older than her as much.

I have a silkie named Quinn who has always been a bit independent but she’s rarely straight-up mean. Lately she’s been quick to get upset when another hen gets too close to her. I noticed the other day that she had caught some of her foot blood feathers and was bleeding, so I treated her and that’s mostly the timeframe of her behaving like this. Is it just because she feels gross from her feet hurting? That’s what I’m guessing. I’ll look at her today since her feathers should be more healed up.
I should note, she’s the youngest in the flock as well as her sister (they came from the same flock.) She doesn’t pull this with the other hens who are years older than her as much.
It may not just be silkies, but I have one, too that acts all bossy when the others come around. Our rooster just lets her be that way, but he'll come to get some of the fermented feed she's hogging for example, and drop some for the others. I get impatient and just started dumping it in piles in the yard. She's actually the daughter of one of the hens she does this too. I do not know if your hen's prior injury has anything to do with it, as there is no excuse for why one of mine does it.

Back
Top Bottom