Silkie chick, scissor beak?

Hi!! I couldn’t help but click on this thread when I saw it because it reminded me of everything I went through as a first time silkie owner dealing with my first case of scissor beak. I didn’t notice Skippy’s beak right away, but I knew as she got bigger that something wasn’t right and it was getting worse. I didn’t know whether I should put her down or if I would have to file her beak and give her special food... I was just brand new to it all and completely stressed. But I decided to just sit back, relax, and see what happened as long as she was eating perfectly on her own and just wait. Turns out, I have never had to lift a finger once to mash her food, she can eat just as good and fast as the others, and I have never had to file her beak... she files it herself! Our silkies free range, and we have concrete blocks around the coop and a concrete sidewalk that she files her beak down on. Skippy will be turning 2 years old next month and she is one of my happiest healthiest girls.
So my advice to you is... watch her/him closely and just wait. If you see any signs of struggling at all, that is the time to intervene. If not, your little chicken will adapt and do what she needs to do. That’s a cute little chick you have on your hands and I wish you luck ❤

View attachment 2468169View attachment 2468170

View attachment 2468171
View attachment 2468172
Your silkie is such a cutie. Mine is smaller than the rest but otherwise eats and drinks fine. I’m hoping that once Beakers grows she can file it on her own. But right now she barely leaves the baby coop. I wish I could put something in there for them to file their beaks on but it’s a small prefab coop I’m using to integrate them. And the coop is small. But your story gives me hope that I might only be filing her beak for a short while. Thank you. 🙂

I had a scissor beak, her name is Amara. She is an EE, which is a breed prone to this type of deformity. I say “had” because after my sister prayed her beak was almost completely aligned. It still doesn’t close properly but she can eat and drink with no issues. Here are the before and after pics:
23980950-2D2D-41D8-A318-2D7AD08998DA.jpeg
1A0FD0E1-79F0-4C16-9A9B-640231D0364A.jpeg

This happened a few months ago and her beak has stayed this way! She’s a very fluffy-cheeked quirky bird and we enjoy her a lot, she was the spunkiest of this group! Always jumping and flying :)

One thing you should definitely do is weigh her so that you can see if she is getting enough food. Check her crop too. You can wet her food, that makes it easier to scoop up. I did that for Amara when I noticed it was getting worse. She seemed to drink fine from the chick waterer. I would raise up her waterer, scissor beaks can have issues keeping food and water in, so if she has to scoop it up from a low point it might make it more difficult for her to drink.

I wish you luck with your chick! Depending on the severity she may not require assistance in her daily life, but regardless I am sure she will be happy!

It is starting to curve down and I guess that’s what I was worried about. It’s hard to file her beak since she’s so little but I take a small amount off the tip every other day. She doesn’t come out of the baby coop much. My EE Fuzzy has been feather pecking, surprisingly gently, all of the babies when they do come out but the girls bother them the most. So they don’t have much to file their beaks on. I worry more about her than the others though.
I’m a worrier and need to learn to relax I guess. But I care more for these guys than I ever thought I would and just want to be sure I’m doing right by her. My sister keeps chickens and thinks I’m crazy the way I’m keeping these guys. She tells me they’re just chickens but to me they feel like more than that.
Its really ok if it curves! As you can see, my girl’s beak is curved and she has no problems. I do have to trim her top beak but her bottom beak she handles herself, I have several different rocks and bricks in the coop she can use. She has learned to adapt very well even with the curve. She even eats worms.
And yes, to me chickens are more then just chickens. I love my girl so much! She makes me smile everyday and forced me to get outside when she was sick, which I sorely needed. She gives me emotional support which I sorely need (I’m autistic and have severe social problems). So many people don’t get why I love her so much but it’s really the same as a dog or cat. They have personalities, dislikes, likes, everything a “normal” pet has, they just are treated as a slave, basically. Give me something or you aren’t worth anything mentality. I don’t mean this in an offensive way, but your sister obviously doesn’t have a very open mind. If she gave time to find their personalities then In sure she would see them differently.
It’s okay to treat your chickens like a pet and not a machine even though a lot of people say differently!

Its really ok if it curves! As you can see, my girl’s beak is curved and she has no problems. I do have to trim her top beak but her bottom beak she handles herself, I have several different rocks and bricks in the coop she can use. She has learned to adapt very well even with the curve. She even eats worms.
And yes, to me chickens are more then just chickens. I love my girl so much! She makes me smile everyday and forced me to get outside when she was sick, which I sorely needed. She gives me emotional support which I sorely need (I’m autistic and have severe social problems). So many people don’t get why I love her so much but it’s really the same as a dog or cat. They have personalities, dislikes, likes, everything a “normal” pet has, they just are treated as a slave, basically. Give me something or you aren’t worth anything mentality. I don’t mean this in an offensive way, but your sister obviously doesn’t have a very open mind. If she gave time to find their personalities then In sure she would see them differently.
It’s okay to treat your chickens like a pet and not a machine even though a lot of people say differently!
I so agree. I have nothing against people who treat chickens like livestock. Raise your animals the way you want. But to me my animals are more than livestock. Every animal is special. I have social anxiety to the point where I don’t talk to people for days except the people I live with. I communicate mostly through text and my chickens have actually made me more social. This is actually the only social media I have because my anxiety gets so bad even talking online. But I love talking about my chickens.
Not to my sister though. She is convinced chickens are stupid and there’s no telling her any different. She doesn’t have an open mind and doesn’t care what happens to her chickens. They’re just chickens to her. 😕 It makes me sad for her animals because I know how she treats them. But there’s no telling someone how to raise their animals when they’ve been doing it for 10 years.
But I love that I found BYC and I’m not alone in thinking it’s okay to name your chickens and feel close to them. Even if you have 15 of them. I have 15 and all of them have names. 😊

I cut my Apple’s beak with dog nail clippers, probably about every 4 weeks or so. I can tell when she needs it because it gets harder for her to eat and after it’s cut it’s much easier. She lives almost exclusively on grapes. They are so easy for to eat and she loves them! They can’t be too mushy and not too firm. Mushy food is definitely harder for her.
my vet had me do physical therapy with her at least 3 times a day where I would basically just move her bottom jaw to line up with the top beak. I did it for maybe 15 minutes each session. Maybe it helped....she’s the best chicken I have ever owned. Because of the PT she became really friendly and will now just sit in my lap and hang out with me. She’s 7 and does great!

I cut my Apple’s beak with dog nail clippers, probably about every 4 weeks or so. I can tell when she needs it because it gets harder for her to eat and after it’s cut it’s much easier. She lives almost exclusively on grapes. They are so easy for to eat and she loves them! They can’t be too mushy and not too firm. Mushy food is definitely harder for her.
my vet had me do physical therapy with her at least 3 times a day where I would basically just move her bottom jaw to line up with the top beak. I did it for maybe 15 minutes each session. Maybe it helped....she’s the best chicken I have ever owned. Because of the PT she became really friendly and will now just sit in my lap and hang out with me. She’s 7 and does great!
Thanks. The dog nail clippers is a good idea. Beakers could not stand the filing and I felt like I was torturing her doing it. Her beak is so small it’s hard to get ahold of too. So far she doesn’t have much trouble eating but I make sure she has the crumbles and an open waterer. I have the nipple waterer for the other chickens but with the open one there they hardly ever use the nipple one. 🤷‍♀️
I wonder if the PT helps to stretch the muscles in their beak or face or something. I could be totally wrong, since I know hardly anything about chicken anatomy, but it works for humans. I’ll see if she’ll tolerate it for a couple minutes a day.

Back
Top Bottom