Silkie chick? UPDATED *Pics added*

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Yesterday I purchased a little Silkie chick and didn't get a chance to really look at it til late last night. We discovered it only had 1 fully formed wing and the other one is like a twisted little ball tucked close to its tummy. It is eating and drinking fine, looks quite healthy otherwise. Even manages to walk around, despite having balancing issues.

I guess my questions are, can it or will it live with only 1 normal wing? Should I cull it? Will its quality of life be greatly hindered with a nonfunctioning wing?

I can't really tell if I can pry the deformed wing away from the body or if it is fused there. I don't want to take a chance of making it bleed or killing it unnecessarily. Of course my daughter has fallen in love with the little cutie and doesn't want me to get rid of it.

Normal wing side...
Pic_17Aug142008.jpg

Missing wing side...
Pic_19Aug142008.jpg

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't look like any of my silkies. They arent supposed to be flyers, and if its able to move w/o tipping over, I'd say its off to a good start....could be a silkie mixed with something else???

I had broiler chicks last Dec. and one of them got stuck to duct tape (lol) and the others pecked at it one wing was bloody featherless and mangled. We took her in the house and she only got worse and we figured if she would die if we didn't amputate the messed up wing. So we cut it off and covered the wound with gause. Beleive it or not she lived and got better she had a wing nub but never had balance problems when grown. I'd say your chick will do just fine and It will get used to the balance issue. Good luck
smile.png

My daughter was holding the little guy today and it does have 5 toes on each foot, but no feathers on its yellow feet. It has a tiny single comb it looks like.

Its still alive, must be about 5 days old now, and finished its water and bowl of food. Its definitely eating, drinking and pooping just fine. The little wing nub is still fused underneath it, but doesn't seem to cause it any pain. I can touch it without the chick making any sounds, but I dont dare pull on it.

I will try to get better pics in the morning. Maybe someone can id it better then.

Back
Top Bottom