Silkie chick with limp

I did notice a pretty big glob of thick-shafted feathers growing together out of her small outside toe that I thought could maybe be causing discomfort. Thanks!
I found it easier on my rooster if I soaked his foot in warm water with Epsom salts before trying to free the ingrown feather. I don't remove the feather, just free it from being ingrown. Blue is very gentle about letting me know whenever I'm around the painful area.

I think they incubated the eggs themselves. We don't usually buy chicks through Craigslist, but we had a hen who wasn't breaking of her broodiness and had already been sitting for two weeks, and there were no stores in town that were still selling chicks.
Makes sense. I would have done the same thing if I had found a Craigslist seller selling bantams for my lone chick. I've also purchased hatching eggs from Craigslist, so I'm definitely not against it. :D You just never know what you might find.

I've got a silkie rooster that does this from time to time. Have you checked over the feather follicles around the tender area or felt for a warm place on her leg and foot? My rooster will get ingrown feathers from time to time and his started fairly young. It's worth a look but may not be this. I wish you the best ❤️
Interesting, this makes sense. Those Silkies and their fluffy feet. :D
I hope this is it, seems fairly simple.

5 month old silkie chick who's been having some issues with her right foot. I've had my eye on it for a while now, since she's been kind of wobbly, but today when I went outside to check on her, she had a pretty bad limp.

She went to the vet a few days ago to get her crossbeak trimmed and the vet took a look at her to see if anything was wrong with her leg.

she doesn't want to put much weight on her foot and kind of kicks it up high in the air. Do you think she could have sprained it or pulled a muscle or something??? She's a little bit of an odd ball chicken and her extra toes don't point up like they should, and point down instead. Her extra toe on her right foot also kind of fuses with her normal back toe.
A video of actions may also be helpful in addition to the photos.
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would still give vitamins as suggested previously.
You mention that she is cross beak, there's some extra toes, etc., so there's a good possibility that a developmental issue it at play here.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I would make sure of that too.

Using some human vitamin B complex 1/4 tablet daily crushed into food or a little water may be helpful.

A video of actions may also be helpful in addition to the photos.
For video, upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would still give vitamins as suggested previously.
You mention that she is cross beak, there's some extra toes, etc., so there's a good possibility that a developmental issue it at play here.

Is her crop emptying overnight? I would make sure of that too.
I'll try to get a video too. The extra toes thing is just because she's a silkie. Silkies have extra toes, hers are just a little different from a normal silkie's. Her crop hasn't been emptying at all. She's been maintaining a healthy weight and every day her crop has felt nice and full.

I don't know if this could play into it, but she also just got over a really bad lice infestation that took us weeks to get rid of. Figured I should mention that too just in case.

I'll try to get a video too. The extra toes thing is just because she's a silkie. Silkies have extra toes, hers are just a little different from a normal silkie's. Her crop hasn't been emptying at all. She's been maintaining a healthy weight and every day her crop has felt nice and full.
Ahh, ok. Well, Silkies are supposed to have 5 toes, so when you mentioned an "extra toe" I just assumed she had more than 5, especially since one is fused and she's cross-beaked as well.
Sometimes birds have more than 1 defect :)

I'm glad that her crop is feeling nice and full, but you still want to make sure it's emptying completely overnight. A crop should not be full after a night's sleep.

Back
Top Bottom