Silkie color genetics

Jun 2, 2023
So I’ve been reading a lot about breeding silkies to achieve certain colors, however I haven’t been able to find any charts or Information on the gray silkie color. It is an APA accepted color and I find it odd I haven’t been able to find any information about it. I have a grey hen that’s been laying daily still and I wanted to know what colors I should expect out of her. She has been bred to a paint rooster.
Does anyone know what colors I could produce from this hen if she were crossed to other APA silkie colors?
(Yes she is gray, not blue)
Attached is a photo of my buff and chocolate hens for fun😊

Attachments

• IMG_2870.jpeg
    IMG_2870.jpeg
    655 KB · Views: 49
The silver partridge?
Silver partridge I believe is another name for the grey silkie color. But yes, I believe she is silver partridge. It’s winter now and she has a lot of browns leaking through, but I’m the spring and summer she is a very light grey/ silvery color. I will get a picture of her.

I apologize for her messy look, it rained all day and she decided it would be good to dig thro the mud. Anyway, this is Regina… because she’s a mean girl.I tried to include pictures from multiple angles and different lighting. Also a photo of her down color. When she’s clean she’s quite stunning.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    520.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2966.jpeg
    IMG_2966.jpeg
    488.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2970.jpeg
    IMG_2970.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2973.jpeg
    IMG_2973.jpeg
    698.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2974.jpeg
    IMG_2974.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2975.jpeg
    IMG_2975.jpeg
    767.7 KB · Views: 13
Grey, is either Silver Partridge, or Silver Columbian. But I haven't seen silver partridge being that common, neither Silver Columbian.
Hard telling since most of the pictures online show the roosters with silver breast, which a partridge male should be black Breasted, this maybe the fact the Columbian gene is at play, cuz you can't get get black Breasted partridge males with the Columbian gene.

My Silver Columbian/Partridge rooster.
20230517_122820.jpg

Grey, is either Silver Partridge, or Silver Columbian. But I haven't seen silver partridge being that common, neither Silver Columbian.
Hard telling since most of the pictures online show the roosters with silver breast, which a partridge male should be black Breasted, this maybe the fact the Columbian gene is at play, cuz you can't get get black Breasted partridge males with the Columbian gene.

My Silver Columbian/Partridge rooster. View attachment 3699652
Grey partridge aren't too difficult to find. My girl came from a commercial hatchery that sells them.

A paint male with her should pass 1 copy of dominant white to about half the offspring and 1 copy of (likely black) whatever color his spots are to the other half of his offspring. I believe the partridge would be recessive based on getting one from a black male and a (likely recessive) white female years ago.
So you would probably get more paints and blacks for the most part, my guess

I apologize for her messy look, it rained all day and she decided it would be good to dig thro the mud. Anyway, this is Regina… because she’s a mean girl.I tried to include pictures from multiple angles and different lighting. Also a photo of her down color. When she’s clean she’s quite stunning.
She's blue partridge, not grey.

Back
Top Bottom