Silkie coop

My 2 adult Silkies sleep on the floor. But, my 3 6week old Silkie chicks try and roost all the time. Guess it depends on the bird.
Low nests and no roosts, or at least removable roosts.

Any coop will do for silkies. This is one I made for my 7 extra silkie roos. It's a little girlie for the boys but I liked the design.

37116_roo_coop_006.jpg

Last edited:
I've ordered 10 bantam blue silkies and 15 bantam easter eggers and will be cross-breeding them to get the smallest chicken possible. When I'm building their coop, can i make levels, like an apartment building, but with ramps going up? Will silkies use the ramps?

sad.png
All of the chickens that I've ever met have been nothing but BEAUTIFUL! I adore my silkies so, so, so much even if they aren't going to win any ribbons at any shows...they give me so much joy and, in return, I pray that I am able to give them the happiest most fun-filled lives possible....

Mine all sleep in a puppy-pile so I don't have anything in their coops for them to roost on. I do have a few very low set roosting poles in their play yard which they will jump off of while ripping around, but I haven't caught anyone sleeping on them yet.

I'm glad to see that they tend to avoid the sides of ponds! I've been contemplating putting in a koi pond near the coops where they would have access to it but only during supervised free ranging. Anyone else have experience with this?

Keep those pix coming! I love to see all of the fun coop ideas!

What kind of person are you? Silkies are gods beauties and deserve kindness and respect, they should never be called ugly, Thats just Sad.
I hope you are kidding?
It seemed to me that the person was either kidding.... or actually if he/she thinks the silkies ARE ugly, but I dont think they would have that coop as nice as it is if they didnt like them.
I think turkens are ugly, Am I a bad person for it?
It IS sad that someone would jump on another person for just saying a chicken is UGLY.
And

Perhaps they were in the "ugly" grow-out stage, when they don't have all feathers and don't have all cute chickie baby fluff either.

My 13 yr old just got a silkie that was apparently picked on by some of the other silkies in her pen because she's (I hope she is a she) is mostly bald and doesn't have much growing on her neck either. She's had a bath and it's fluffed her up some. I'm sort of surprised at how "ugly" she is right now. I hope she grows to be as pretty as some of the other birds I've seen but it will take some time.

It might also help if these 6 little d'uccles didn't pile around her although if it's a girl, she's getting lots of practice on being a momma.

CG

Oh! That little chick is darling! I hope she "fills in" as she "fills out", too! And so cute that those d'uccles are now her buds...they can keep each other warm
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom