Silkie Cross Thread!! PICS!!

Pics
was the mom the silkie? and doesn't hamburgs have blue skin as well?
Hamburgs have blue skin, Silkies have black.

So, I'm doubting the whole sex-linked skin color theory. I've had 4 1st generation Sizzles hatch out (Silkie x Frizzled Cochin) and every single chick has had black skin. The last 2 to hatch out unfortunately died (first
time broody hen error) so I wont be able to watch their progress, but I looked them over real well before I disposed of them
sad.png

Genetically speaking, with an F1 cross I should've gotten some chicks with light skin and missing the extra toes, but that hasn't happened. Extra dark skin, extra digits, beards and heads that look like they'll sport a crest at some point. My Silkie rooster must have some wicked strong genetics, his babies look just like Silkies, except for the barbed feathers, of course. I'll still update on sexes as they grow, but I just can't believe all four Sizzle chicks hatched female. Obviously I'll never know on the 2 deceased chicks, but I don't think the 2 surviving chicks are both ladies either. They're already feathering at different rates. Oh well, to be continued I suppose...
I have hatched 21 Silkie cross chicks so far this summer. Same light skinned LF roo and the Silkie hens were different colors. The resulting white chicks have light skin and the dark chicks have black skin...and doesn't correlate to their sex. The chicks that are more blue have some dark skin and some light skin. So, Sex-linkage may be part but there has to be other factors as well that are not sex-linked.

Last edited:
I think I'll hatch a big batch of this cross when the hen starts laying again. I just thought it was odd that all of the chicks came out looking identical. And they're all black! The Silkie rooster is buff (smutty), the hen black, so I though some partridge chicks would pop out. But, I'm a genetics dummy so :D

I'm trying to upload some recent pics of my chicks, but the mobile website is being a pain (or maybe its my phone). One of them isn't far from being mostly feathered. The other only has a few tiny wing feathers and a couple of foot feathers. Its a funny looking little thing, still all covered in chick down!

Last edited:
I think I'll hatch a big batch of this cross when the hen starts laying again. I just thought it was odd that all of the chicks came out looking identical. And they're all black! The Silkie rooster is buff (smutty), the hen black, so I though some partridge chicks would pop out. But, I'm a genetics dummy so :D

I'm trying to upload some recent pics of my chicks, but the mobile website is being a pain (or maybe its my phone). One of them isn't far from being mostly feathered. The other only has a few tiny wing feathers and a couple of foot feathers. Its a funny looking little thing, still all covered in chick down!

Some of the chicks I've hatched a raised that was mixes, the girls grew their feathers way faster then the males. So you might have a boy and girl.

From what I have been reading and what I can understand, black skin is not a simple sex-linkage, not all determiners located on the sex chromosomes (x,z). There are other inherited factors located on chromosome #20. It appears that black skin color in the chicken is not totally controlled by the sex in outcrossings. To quote "The inheritance of the dark skin phenotype involves the fibromelanosis gene, Fm," (which is not sex-linked) "as well as dermal melanin inhibitors, such as the sex-linked Id dermal melanin inhibiting mutation." (which is sex-linked)

A couple of articles I have read right off....

http://www.uu.se/en/news/news-document/?id=1567&typ=pm&area=2&lang=en

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/pressroom/uu/document/view/schematic_ill-17306

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11192429

I think this is probably the best answer I have found and from which I have quoted:

http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page2.html

Last edited:

Here are my chicks, I think they're 3 or so weeks old (and I REALLY need to clean my coop
hide.gif
)
My chickens have a coop inside a large pen outside. Yours needs cleaned?????? Think about all of this rain we have had here along with VERY flat land and you can get the idea of dirty! LOL! I have decided to dig all of the sandy/soil/poop etc out starting next week and replacing it with more sandy soil from where my husband wants to extend the garden next year. Guess you can't guess what goes back into the area where I am getting the soil!

My chickens have a coop inside a large pen outside. Yours needs cleaned?????? Think about all of this rain we have had here along with VERY flat land and you can get the idea of dirty! LOL!  I have decided to dig all of the sandy/soil/poop etc out starting next week and replacing it with more sandy soil from where my husband wants to extend the garden next year. Guess you can't guess what goes back into the area where I am getting the soil!

Yep, tons of rain! Fortunately, my coop is a converted playhouse that sits about 6 ft off the ground, so I don't have to deal with wetness. Those shavings just look especially poopy in that pic to me! It didn't smell in the coop (well, it smelled like pine shavings). Guess I just need to put my chicks on the grass before I take pics :gig
I'm hoping for at least 1 girl out of those 2. They're both frizzled (and I have another frizzled hen), so any frizzled males will go elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom