silkie eating egg

BantamBonzo

Songster
May 14, 2016
Brunswick GA
Ok checked on my mini flock today and as I was getting ready to open their nesting box I noticed where one hen had laid eggs in a differant area and ran in and pecked at an egg, ran off with the shell. I cleaned the area and removed the eggs to an incunator for safe keeping. Added more nesting
material and put ping pong balls down.

As to any stress factor neighbrs dogs have started bugging my yard and we have a feral cat issue.
Working on a solution for this part ^

Hen ran with the shell but left the yolk behind. Could this be a sign of needing more grit?

My hens will act crazy for any broken or floor eggs. Chickens love the taste of eggs and to eat the shells. It's always best to keep eggs off the ground if possible, keep nests darkened and collect them often. Ceramic eggs can help deter curious pecking.

Eggs do get eaten occasionally, but hens shouldn't be seeking them out. Always keep a separate bowl of oyster shells and it's best to feed a higher protein ration than layer, especially if you feed extras that are lower in protein to help keep your hens from being deficient.

I feed my hens 17% layer and they have a bowl of oyster shell.
my hens don't eat eggs on the floor or in boxes unless the egg is already broken.

It happened too fast to tell if the egg was already broken :(
Have added more shell and it hasnt happened again since. Thank you for the help

Back
Top Bottom