Silkie eggs from Bama hatching today!

Quote:
They are adorable! As to the yellow feet though.. I thought they were never supposed to have yellow feet and if they did then it means somewhere in their genetic line is a regular type of chicken, not a pure Silkie. My Silkies were supposed to be pure too... but we found out, due to having some have 4 toes, that the Partridge hen must have had a regular chicken in her genetic line... so while that was disappointing, I still love my chicks. I just can't use them for breeding ... only egg eating. Anyway... maybe we can get a Silkie expert to tell us more on genetics and stuff. That would be interesting... but I guess I have to go to the breeds and genetics page for that. Sadly, one of my chicks died today... it was so tiny, just a week old. I guess something was wrong with it. It did not eat hardly at all... I'm sad.
hit.gif

Quote:
Thanks Lisa... it was sad to lose "the Runt" as my nephew liked to call it. I guess it just was a weak chick or that it got hurt somehow after the hatch that caused it to not be able to thrive. It was the tiniest Silkie.

That is interesting about the feet. There is so much to learn about genetics and breeds generally. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom