Silkie Foot Maintenance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by VA from WV, Nov 22, 2009.

1. VA from WV

VA from WV Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2009
    Eastern Pandhandle WV
    Just got a new silkie whose nails are long to the point where the toes are twisting. Her feet are otherwise in great shape, so I did some careful clipping and will possibly engage the Pedi-Paws if she will tolerate it. [​IMG]

My questions are these:

1. I cut very conservatively, only enough to reduce the torsion problem but not fully correct it. She has white nails with horn streaking near the foot and I was having a very hard time discerning where the quick might be. Seeking guidance.

2. Being that silkies don't have the benefit of scratching in the dirt all the time, what strategies exist for providing them abrasive surfaces? I was thinking that possibly turning ceramic tiles on to their backs as a underlayment for the bedding would be of benefit.

3. As well, what do you provide to a house chicken to help them keep their beaks in trim?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    It may sound crude, but for a house chicken's beak I'd put a brick in a place where it can get at it.
    If the nail still looks long, it probably is. trim it down to where you think it looks right, and if it starts bleeding apply baking soda. I can't help you much more on that.
    Upside down ceramic tiles should do the trick, good idea - - and put some feed on top if the chicken is reluctant - that way they will scratch, eat and file their claws at the same time!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  3. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

This might be a crazy idea, but can you file her claws down if you're worried about hitting the quick? You know... the thick kind with the foam core? If the claws are tough you could try the kind for acrylic nails...

I hit the quick when I was clipping my cat's claws once and I felt HORRIBLE. I can empathize with your concern.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    I rarely have to trim nails but mine have access to outside pens. The ones I find will need trimming most often are the ones that are dedicated broodies. I've only had to trim the beak of my blind boy since he didn't do the kind of scratching and pecking the sighted birds did.

It will take another couple of trims then you'll have the birds' nails where you want them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by