Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Went to put my eggs into lockdown last night only to discover my incubator was off
1f628.png
. I immediately switched it back on and it got up to temperature quickly but it could have been off for up to 20 hours. I candles them and could still seeveins etc.. but no movement. I put them in anyway, what are the chances of my eggs still hatching? So dissapointed for this to happen at this late stage
1f61e.png

Chicks can be amazingly resilient so if they still had veins then they should likely be okay. They may just hatch a bit late.

Chicks can be amazingly resilient so if they still had veins then they should likely be okay.  They may just hatch a bit late.

I hope so, treating them as normal (dying to give them a wee candle though
1f61c.png
). Time will tell. My wee (and only) silkie has been sitting on eggs since Monday but my rooster is a barnevelder (I think) so God knows what I'll get from that!!

2 little Paint Silkies side by side Miniature Paint on the left, standard sized Bantam Paint on the right :)

Three little Paint chicks all in a row... Miniature Paints on the left and the right standard Bantam Paint in the middle :D

And the rest of their hatch mates... Partridge Silkie...

And 2 Blue Silkies.... will post better pics when they're all fluffed up and moved to their brooder tomorrow...

So, I'm down to 7 eggs!!
ep.gif

Another one bit the dust yesterday! It's just so sad. But on the flip side, 4 of them have perfect circle air cells! So I laid them down on their sides. I'm wondering if the ones that died between days 10-12 died because they weren't turned enough?? Because it looks like the dead embryos are on the side of the egg. I don't know but I feel more comfortable hand turning the ones that have the good air cells to exercise and strengthen the chicks. The other 3 are still in the cartons because the air cells are going down the side of the egg.

Do you play the chick music for it? I can find the link if you want. It makes mine go crazy after they pip! It's exciting to watch them respond to the sound.

Ruby, dont lose hope, I just candled again this morning, and yes with the humidifier going...a little too much my humidity spiked to 89% when i opened the lid! Not great for my antique furniture,but chicks come first.

My bad aircell looks like yours and he/sje has pipped internally...scared for it now, and have begun the timer on it.
The other egg has a good aircell, but it hasn't dropped down one side. its standing in the carton because I thought you could do good aircells upright also, so for convenience left it standing. that chick is moving less (but is moving). TOO MANY DECISIONS...Should I lie it flat, or is it too late will it have orientated itself to the air cell position already?

Those chicks are just adorable, the little little one standing makes the size difference really obvious. congrats on your lovely colours, and please do post fluffy pics. I wish I could enjoy your philosophical approach to losses, just cant bear seeing a fully formed chick not get over the line.
Rosyamanda, no idea what he she is except CUTE.
Lea

:weee went to the store today and bought new batteries for my candler....wow, what a difference!!! (I'm obviously a candling addict). I was taking out the dead eggs and one of the ones I wrote "d.e.a.d" on....moved!!! I saw its little feet moving around!!! It doesn't have a lot of veins on one side but it is clearly alive! So I'm back up to 8 eggs! And 2 out of the 3 quail eggs started to develop. I've gotta take pics tomorrow night. Either my candler is amazing or these eggs are transparent! :D

Went to put my eggs into lockdown last night only to discover my incubator was off
1f628.png
. I immediately switched it back on and it got up to temperature quickly but it could have been off for up to 20 hours. I candles them and could still seeveins etc.. but no movement. I put them in anyway, what are the chances of my eggs still hatching? So dissapointed for this to happen at this late stage
1f61e.png

Oh no!! Hopefully it wasn't off that long. I would re-check for movement tomorrow. That's the only way to know for sure. Good luck! :hugs

So, my chick hatched!!!! It's so cute! As it was zipping, I got a surprise....pink skin, four toes???? Now that it's dry, the head looks kind of silkieish and it's small so maybe a cross?? I got the eggs off ebay and the seller sent 3 extras so maybe the seller threw in 3 random extras?? Either way, i love it. Typing one-handed cuz new chick is cuddled in my other hand. :)

I had one once that hatched with pink skin and I was thinking cross too. But after a few days it had really darkened. Surprisingly that chick had 5 toes but 2 were stuck together like one, so it looks like 4 until you look really closely. I'm wondering how that one will turn out. What color is it?

2 little Paint Silkies side by side Miniature Paint on the left, standard sized Bantam Paint on the right :)

Three little Paint chicks all in a row... Miniature Paints on the left and the right standard Bantam Paint in the middle :D

And the rest of their hatch mates... Partridge Silkie...

And 2 Blue Silkies.... will post better pics when they're all fluffed up and moved to their brooder tomorrow...

I LOVE them!!! Really hope I get a paint!

Ruby, dont lose hope, I just candled again this morning, and yes with the humidifier going...a little too much my humidity spiked to 89% when i opened the lid! Not great for my antique furniture,but chicks come first.

My bad aircell looks like yours and he/sje has pipped internally...scared for it now, and have begun the timer on it.
The other egg has a good aircell, but it hasn't dropped down one side. its standing in the carton because I thought you could do good aircells upright also, so for convenience left it standing. that chick is moving less (but is moving). TOO MANY DECISIONS...Should I lie it flat, or is it too late will it have orientated itself to the air cell position already? 

Those chicks are just adorable, the little little one standing makes the size difference really obvious. congrats on your lovely colours, and please do post fluffy pics. I wish I could enjoy your philosophical approach to losses, just cant bear seeing a fully formed chick not get over the line.
Rosyamanda, no idea what he she is except CUTE.
Lea

My hope has been replenished!! I laid all mine down today. The ones with the mis-shaped air cells are firm, the other 5 have ok shaped ones. I just really hate the cartons. I hope I didn't make the wrong choice but I want the chicks to get the exercise and get strong. I'm hand turning really slowly. That's so exciting you have a pip!!! I think it's great that you're using the humidifier!! The furniture will dry out! ;) Update when it externally pips!!

So, I'm down to 7 eggs!! :eek:
Another one bit the dust yesterday! It's just so sad. But on the flip side, 4 of them have perfect circle air cells! So I laid them down on their sides. I'm wondering if the ones that died between days 10-12 died because they weren't turned enough?? Because it looks like the dead embryos are on the side of the egg. I don't know but I feel more comfortable hand turning the ones that have the good air cells to exercise and strengthen the chicks. The other 3 are still in the cartons because the air cells are going down the side of the egg.

Do you play the chick music for it? I can find the link if you want. It makes mine go crazy after they pip! It's exciting to watch them respond to the sound.

Those aircells while not great are not so terrible either last Month I had aircells far worse and my hatch rate was poor but my babies that did hatch came out of the eggs with the worst aircells some covering over half their eggs.... Those babies are just over 4 weeks old and thriving now.... There is hope for your eggs :)

Those aircells while not great are not so terrible either last Month I had aircells far worse and my hatch rate was poor but my babies that did hatch came out of the eggs with the worst aircells some covering over half their eggs.... Those babies are just over 4 weeks old and thriving now.... There is hope for your eggs
smile.png

Dont know about you Ruby, but these words are music to my ears. Good air cell has started to move down one side, internal pipper has a shadow in the aircell, which I think must be the chick moving into it??
if you open my bedroom door white steam wafts out....it looks like some crazy laboratory. i'm candling and trying not to change the egg position as i do, figure a mother hen moves a bit when shes sitting anyway. have forgotten to watch co2 levels as they seemed to indicate times of chick activity.

Back
Top Bottom