Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Yes, but they aren't my favorite.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Yes, I love them!

Votes: 41 67.2%
  • I used to have silkies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gitabooks..do you have eggs hatching at the moment?

To all...how do you stop yourself buying more eggs, my husband wont buy the 'we need more chook poop for the garden' excuse any longer!

Thanks for asking.
smile.png

I have a small number of silkie-mix eggs in the incubator that are going to hatch a week or so into September. This will be my first time using the incubator with success (if they hatch) so I'm pretty excited.

As for how to stop yourself from buying more eggs? You don't. Lol.
gig.gif
I try, but it just doesn't happen. The only reason I don't have a million chickens is because money is really tight right now and we can barely afford the ones we have right now. However, when money picks back up.... lets just say that incubator will be put to good use.

First time hatcher here. Singular due for lockdown tomorrow. Only slight movement, but not as big as I thought he would be. Can anybody tell me what's going on? Lol

First time hatcher here. Singular due for lockdown tomorrow. Only slight movement, but not as big as I thought he would be. Can anybody tell me what's going on? Lol

Hmmmmm. That second pic, the air cell looks like either the chick has broken into the air cell, or its being shrink wrapped. How long has it looked that way? I mean not a perfect circle meeting the shell?

Hmmmmm. That second pic, the air cell looks like either the chick has broken into the air cell, or its being shrink wrapped. How long has it looked that way? I mean not a perfect circle meeting the shell?

It has been about 2 days looking like that. The humidity has been around 40-50% and the temp 100-101 in a forced air Incubator. Tomorrow is day 18.

It has been about 2 days looking like that. The humidity has been around 40-50% and the temp 100-101 in a forced air Incubator. Tomorrow is day 18.

I'm a bit mystified, sorry. I'm worried about that air cell, I think I would up the humidity now and go ahead with lockdown. With temps that high, I bet you will have an early hatch.

I'm a bit mystified, sorry. I'm worried about that air cell, I think I would up the humidity now and go ahead with lockdown. With temps that high, I bet you will have an early hatch.

Ok! Thanks! Also, it looks like there's a little watery fluid up by the air cell. What is that? It's moving a lot now. Should I lay him on his side for lockdown, or keep him upright?

Last edited:
Ok! Thanks! Also, it looks like there's a little watery fluid up by the air cell. What is that? It's moving a lot now. Should I lay him on his side for lockdown, or keep him upright?

If you can, maybe candle again before raising the humidity, and hold the egg with the air cell up, and candle down into it. Slightly tilt and turn the egg to try to see if any of the fluid on top is actually in the air cell, or if the air cell is still intact. And look for a shadow that may be a beak.

If you can, maybe candle again before raising the humidity, and hold the egg with the air cell up, and candle down into it. Slightly tilt and turn the egg to try to see if any of the fluid on top is actually in the air cell, or if the air cell is still intact. And look for a shadow that may be a beak.

Well, the liquid looks like it not free in the air cell, and I think I can see him pushing up on the membrane, but not poking through

Any vitamin mix should help.
smile.png

As for getting knocked around, I don't think she does. There are only three of them and she is their little sister so they treat her pretty nice. She loves to try to hide under them like they are her mother.

oh that so sweet, can see the little one bustling in under the other 2

Back
Top Bottom