Silkie Hatch-A-Long

Late in joining here but I was very excited to have our first hatch of Silkies and Showgirls today 3-19~National Poultry Day. How appropriate!

I don't believe that I can post photos here but I have two quick snaps in my gallery but will try. 1-4 Silkies, 5&6 Showgirls Any thoughts on colors? I've not been able to find a color reference other than for adults.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly

Late in joining here but I was very excited to have our first hatch of Silkies and Showgirls today 3-19~National Poultry Day. How appropriate! I don't believe that I can post photos here but I have two quick snaps in my gallery but will try. 1-4 Silkies, 5&6 Showgirls Any thoughts on colors? I've not been able to find a color reference other than for adults. Thanks in advance, Kelly
too cute!!

Only a few more days for you too!!  Mine were due the 20th & 21st but the first 2 hatched late on the 18th.  It is hard to wait those last few days!!  :D
I already removed the egg turner, just how important is the positioning of the air cell for hatching? I just placed them in flat, didn't candle so I don't know if the more dipped side is facing up or not

Also, we're you using a still air or forced air? What temperature were you running?

Last edited:
I was using a still air at 99 degrees (digital thermometer at egg level) and hand turning. I just laid the eggs flat. It seems at a certain point in time that the internal weight positions it--just my observation.

All of my eggs were shipped in. Five of them were scrambled by the USPS and this was obvious very early on. :(

Good luck and hope that you have a successful hatch!!

Kelly

Oh I didn't know you were hatching with a brooder hen! Momma will take care of them while you're away! Can't wait to see pictures!
smile.png
yeah normally it would be fine, but I had another broody who quit sitting on day 11 so I stuck the eggs under this one..so I was planning on taking chicks from her as they hatch and then giving them all back at the end in hopes that she will sit a couple extra days

Back
Top Bottom