Silkie in destress over egg laying.

Penguinsofty55

Chirping
Mar 22, 2022
I'm a bit concerned over my little black silkie, she started laying dec 31, layed 3 eggs every other day then quit and had a egg yesterday with help, she does this crazy restless wandering and yelled and whines for hours until she passes the egg. The eggs are fairly big. About twice the size of her vent. Will this painful egg laying continue or will it get easier for her. Yesterday she laid an egg that was almost as big as the ones I get from my leg bar. I had to help with a warm Epson salt bath, as soon as she was in she quit freaking out and looked and sounded a lot better till she finally passed the egg about an hour latter. This is a pet FYI. And is inside for winter,

What exactly do you feed her each day?

Can you take a picture of her and these eggs next to a ruler?

Do you feed treats?
I'm thinking I might need to take her on little walks she might not be moving around enough to help her pass eggs, I'd do birth control if I had a avian vet here otherwise I'm not confident in my understanding of it.

No, that was her hatch mate I ordered at the same time. turns out she wasn't fully developed on the inside which is why she was so picky but also not growing. She sadly passed away.
Is this other thread of yours about this same bird?

Thread 'Watery poops for a long time.' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/watery-poops-for-a-long-time.1559382/
I drove 4 hrs to find a vet that worked on chickens. But she wasn't going to get better

I highly recommend feeding only a layer type feed and zero of any thing else.
If this tiny bird eats anything besides the layer type feed then she will not be getting enough calcium which is needed to lay eggs.

I'm exaggerating just a tiny bit but diet Is that important.

Back
Top Bottom