Silkie losing feathers from mating

StarryBayFarm

In the Brooder
Jan 10, 2022
Hi,
We have a Cochin Rooster “Coach” and he’s a big beautiful boy. However, we also have two frizzles and one silkie in the flock. Our silkie and smaller frizzle showed signs of over mating and feather loss. So I’ve tried 4 different types of mating saddles. Our chickens have a lot of room and free range on the weekends. I can’t find any saddles small enough to stay on our silkie. Any suggestions?

We know it’s not mites as they aren’t itching and it isn’t red. They just like they are ready to be cooked up 😩 I don’t want it to get worse. We are adding 13 new pulleys to the 11 hens in a few weeks. Will that help keep Coach busy from over-mating? He is a gentle giant. Should we catch him and trim him?

Hi,
We have a Cochin Rooster “Coach” and he’s a big beautiful boy. However, we also have two frizzles and one silkie in the flock. Our silkie and smaller frizzle showed signs of over mating and feather loss. So I’ve tried 4 different types of mating saddles. Our chickens have a lot of room and free range on the weekends. I can’t find any saddles small enough to stay on our silkie. Any suggestions?

We know it’s not mites as they aren’t itching and it isn’t red. They just like they are ready to be cooked up 😩 I don’t want it to get worse. We are adding 13 new pulleys to the 11 hens in a few weeks. Will that help keep Coach busy from over-mating? He is a gentle giant. Should we catch him and trim him?
Have you tried Etsy? You might find something there, try hen saddles for bantams as your search. Here’s a link to a seller I found

https://www.etsy.com/listing/710054752/bantam-hen-chicken-saddleapron-sturdy

Back
Top Bottom