Silkie Missing LOTS of skin AND sour crop help please? *cw Graphic photo of wound*

24 hour change. I'm almost positive the white is new skin growth or at least I'm hopeful it is because it's expanding rapidly especially right where that deeper mark is on the bottom left of the wound in the photo
2021-04-10_01.11.27.jpg

Another 24 hours. Tonight I got the otc antibiotics. She's been eating less and in general less noisy spending most of her time hiding in the cave with the heat pad so I'm going to do 5 days of that just because I believe she's hiding something somewhere.

The wound itself is getting much smaller so I'm hopeful that by next Monday we won't be doing twice a day wound care together and we can instead start to work on getting all the grease off those feathers that are left.
2021-04-13_01.14.04.jpg

So another 24 hour comparison here and wow.once they get healing they really go about it.

So care I'm doing currently.

Once a day wound care including vetricyn spray them coating in Neosporin.
I am giving 5 days of an otc bird antibiotic from chewy. Cece is on day 3 of that
I am still making a mash with the lactose free yogurt drink. But I'm doing less and less yogurt each time so it's a little closer to what she will be eating later.

But she's very active And loud (lonely still I'm sure) ive seen scratching for food behaviors return in the past 2 days. For 2 days now we have started to roost on our ferret house to see what's going on dieting the day.

Overall I'm very confident that in just a few more days I'll be onto getting the grease off this bird and hoping feathers come back in.
2021-04-15_01.30.47.jpg

I am giving 5 days of an otc bird antibiotic from chewy. Cece is on day 3 of that
I am still making a mash with the lactose free yogurt drink. But I'm doing less and less yogurt each time so it's a little closer to what she will be eating later.

she's very active And loud (lonely still I'm sure) ive seen scratching for food behaviors return in the past 2 days. For 2 days now we have started to roost on our ferret house to see what's going on dieting the day.
I think the wound looks good and it's healing. I would continue with what you are doing.
Sounds like her appetite is improving as well. Coming out of the cave and away from heat, roosting on the cage and interacting - I would say she's making progress.

What antibiotic are you giving? (just curious)
I would closely monitor the crop after antibiotic treatment to make sure it's not getting sour. If it's emptying overnight, then likely that won't be an issue, but in your previous posts you have the know how to treat for that.

I hope she continues to improve. Are you going to keep her once she's healed up? I hope so:)

I think the wound looks good and it's healing. I would continue with what you are doing.
Sounds like her appetite is improving as well. Coming out of the cave and away from heat, roosting on the cage and interacting - I would say she's making progress.

What antibiotic are you giving? (just curious)
I would closely monitor the crop after antibiotic treatment to make sure it's not getting sour. If it's emptying overnight, then likely that won't be an issue, but in your previous posts you have the know how to treat for that.

I hope she continues to improve. Are you going to keep her once she's healed up? I hope so:)
That remains to be seen. Of course if I decide to ask to keep her she will probably become a him and those aren't allowed in city limits here.

I took a photo of the antibiotic. I know it says domestic birds and not to use for meat birds. But I figure this one is so young its going to be months before it lays (if ever). And my birds are pets thanks to egg allergies and all getting old enough that laying isn't their thing anymore really so if I ever need it for them I also don't worry.

But she was feeling fiesty or it was really itchy apparently because she must have taken off some scab today but it looks like the healing was continuing well under it anyways.
I got her a bird mirror today so maybe she can talk to that instead of yell at me :p there is definitely more personality showing up and its sassy.
20210415_092552.jpg
20210415_235657.jpg
2021-04-16_00.15.01.jpg

I am so glad I found this thread as I have a young quail with a very similar injury which he sustained from a fight with another male! I was at a loss of what to do! I have cleaned him up but just like your little silkies there's a big wound on the chest! Where can I buy neosporin please or is it from the vet? Thank you in advance. I will let you know how my little guy gets on! Hope your little chick pulls through x

Glad the little cutie is coming along so well!
My jaw dropped when I read you were using bleach to clean the wound initially--I've never heard of that, but that sounds scary and possibly quite painful, eep!

I dunno how confident you are feeling about things, it looks like you are both doing a great job so far with this healing process! If you haven't already, this is one of my favorite threads on severe wound care on this site: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/graphic-pics-wing-amputation-advise.1246736/

Might be worth a read-through to look for ideas. On page 6 the OP starts dealing with another injured hen with a wound very similar to the one you are dealing with.

Where can I buy neosporin please or is it from the vet?

Neosporin is a common over the counter antiseptic salve you can get almost anywhere, at least in the USA. Not sure where you are at in the world, but any anti-septic cream will probably be fine as long as it's not medicated with pain killers.

Last edited:
Glad the little cutie is coming along so well!
My jaw dropped when I read you were using bleach to clean the wound initially--I've never heard of that, but that sounds scary and possibly quite painful, eep!

I dunno how confident you are feeling about things, it looks like you are both doing a great job so far with this healing process! If you haven't already, this is one of my favorite threads on severe wound care on this site: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/graphic-pics-wing-amputation-advise.1246736/

Might be worth a read-through to look for ideas.

Neosporin is a common over the counter antiseptic salve you can get almost anywhere, at least in the USA. Not sure where you are at in the world, but any anti-septic cream will probably be fine as long as it's not medicated with pain killers.
Thank you for replying I'm in North Wales UK 🇬🇧 I will go and speak to someone at the farm and pet shop where I get my quail food etc from as there is an in store veterinary service so I should be able to get what I need there hopefully 😀

She gave me a solution of bleach, baking soda and water

The bleach solution is just homemade Dakin's Solution which could be purchased at stores like CVS, Walmart, etc. It can be used for initial cleaning of wounds.
I don't know about you, but for me personally - any cleaning of a wound whether it's soap/water, hibiclens or solution of choice, it's gonna sting and be painful - part of the process - a well cleaned wound at the start of it all heals much better and fairly quickly - the OP's photos tell a story for sure. Wound looks good and they have done of very nice job tending to this chick.

Back
Top Bottom