Silkie mom and Larger size dad?

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
Okay so…. I know that silkie Roos can totally breed with large/voluptuous lady birds…. But what happens when a silkie hen breeds with a larger daddy bird?

Are her little silkie eggs large enough to hold larger baby chicks? Or do they end up being born early or something? Or do the eggs end up larger?

Sorry if it is a dumb question lol.

Are her little silkie eggs large enough to hold larger baby chicks? Or do they end up being born early or something? Or do the eggs end up larger?

The hen continues to lay the same size eggs.

The chicks grow inside the egg, and hatch in the same amount of time, no matter what size their father was. So if you cross the same hen to a small rooster and to a big one, both sets of chicks should hatch after the same number of days of incubation.

But after hatching, the chicks who have a larger father are likely to grow to a larger adult size. (They might grow faster, or they might keep growing for more months, or they might do both.)

I find that bantamxLF chicks have no issues hatching, but the father of the bird doesn’t change the egg size, just as he doesn’t change the egg color or anything else.
Ha that makes sense! I’m over here imagining it like if a chihuahua had to birth Great Dane puppies, except the puppies are enormous eggs in a tiny chicken 😂😂 glad to know the mama wouldn’t have to go through that.

Ha that makes sense! I’m over here imagining it like if a chihuahua had to birth Great Dane puppies, except the puppies are enormous eggs in a tiny chicken 😂😂 glad to know the mama wouldn’t have to go through that.
Well all zygotes are just a few cells big. So it would be no difference.

Back
Top Bottom