Silkie not coming down?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl3, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ChickenGirl3

ChickenGirl3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I got a new silkie after ThanksGiving and after I introduced her to my 2 other hen she stays in the coop all day and never go's down. I have a catawba coop and she won't go down and eat some grass and bugs. I'm scared of her starving so I put some food in the coop and I let her out of the coop sometimes. Should I just leave her alone for a couple of weeks?

Sincerely,
    ChickenGirl3

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    silkies can have a hard time seeing where they are going. I have one that I have to lift in to and out of the coop the others figured it out just make sure she has access to food and water

3. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    I had more chickens before and they were Australorps and when I got them I let the bridge down and didn't put It up, they finally went up, should I do that with my silkie or should I put her down the bridge and up the bridge every night? My Dominique pecks her sometimes and she Is scared of the Dominique.

Thanks

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would baby your silkie and place her where you want her to be. Don't let her get bullied- silkies have a soft spot on the top of their heads like a baby.

Establishing the pecking order is normal- and some pecking. But not bullying (as in won't let a chicken eat or drink, etc.).

5. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    Thank you for all the information this is my first silkie! She moves her head back and forth like she's dancing! It's hilarious [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Maybe her crest is too big and she can't see? If so she will shut down & die. Trim it or tie it up. Or maybe she has crest mites?

7. 1Chick Magnet

1Chick Magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    New Hampshire
    cut the feathers around the eyes.

8. ChickenGirl3

Nov 27, 2010
    YAY! [​IMG] My silkie,Purkie, went up the coop bridge all by herself!!! [​IMG]

Thank you for all of your help!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Good for her!!! [​IMG]

10. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Take a little rubber band and give it a ponytail on top so it can get used to the new surroundings![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by