Silkie owners: Can we raise 4 silkies and expect at least 4 eggs per week consistently?

UrbanNature

Hatching
Jul 29, 2016
Hello BYC!

I'm new here. I just started raising silkies and am in love with the breed. The compact size, ease of care, quietness, and their affectionate personalities are just perfect for my urban farm in the city. I now want to raise only silkies... Yet I want to be practical because I do raise them to provide eggs. I understand that they are prone to broodiness are not good layers.

Is it possible if there were four hens that they'd offset each other enough so that I'd get one egg at last every day or two? It'd be wonderful if I could raise only silkies and expect minimum 4 eggs per week consistently. Do I need more than 4 hens to accomplish this? Or get one more bantam of a different breed that will keep up the egg profile?

Also... Will they stop laying in the winter?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Urban Nature

I have Silkies and some are very broody and others I've had are less so or only seasonally broody like spring time. My hens always laid 5-6 eggs a week but I've read that Silkies don't normally lay that often(?) so it may depend on genetics.

Back
Top Bottom